SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This coming weekend we're joining some other cruisers from our club on a visit to another club, over in Canada. After we cross into Canadian waters, etiquette demands we hoist the Canadian flag on starboard spreader.

Here's the problem: We don't have flag halyards. Nor do I plan to put them on. The deck's crowded enough between mast and shrouds as it is. (Our boat has a relatively narrow beam, compared with more recently-designed/-built boats.) What I've been doing with our Club's burgee is "hoisting" it on the port top-shroud with a couple of those spring-loaded clips. But that isn't very satisfactory, as they slip under load (on the burgee) and bunch together, making the burgee look bad. So I'm wondering if there's a Better Way?

I'd like to fix this problem for flying our Club's burgee, but it's even more important I not insult the Canadian flag by flying her poorly come this weekend.

TIA,
Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
How about temporary halyard using a length of polyester cord, etc. and a "monkey fist" to throw over the spreader. Tie each end to the flag, hoist and tie off to turnbuckles - or something like that.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, 14432, but I'd prefer something I could attach to the shrouds that would stay put. I'm beginning to suspect that, from the responses and lack of responses I'm getting to this question, that there isn't anything. I guess I'll just have to put the ol' brain to work and see if I can't jury-rig something.

Jim

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen electrical zip ties used on the shrouds.
What I'm thinking of doing is using the clips I've been using, place a zip tie on the underside of the top one and one above the bottom one. That way I'll still be able to easily remove the flag/burgee, and hopefully the extra friction afforded by the zip ties will keep the hoists of the flags/burgees from collapsing toward the middle.

You may have to push the flag up with a boat hook though to get them high enough.
I'm not going to try to get 'em all that high for now. I'll be happy if I can just get 'em flying right as high as I can reach.

Jim

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
First - thanks for honouring our flag - that is appreciated

Second - I have used a small shroud cleat

for the starting point for temporarily flying a flag on a shroud. The temporary "flag halyard" came down from that point. Also - I have used the shroud cleat at chest height on the shroud and a two bolt small cable clamp

on the the top of the shroud for a very small pulley. I put rigging tape on the shroud under the small cable clamp.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have fun on the weekend.

Rik

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great minds think alike, Rik! :D I was thinking of the system you describe: A small block secured to the shroud just below the spreader with a small cable clamp and a shroud cleat below.

Thanks for sharing your idea.

Jim

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Everything I can find says it flies from the starboard spreader of the foremost mast.

Do you have a topping lift or spinnaker halyard you can put into service? Hook the shackle around the upper shroud and into or tied to the upper flag grommet and lift it to the spreader end? (Being sure to rig a downhaul from he lower grommet first).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.