SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So can I just fill my inflatable dingy with super expanding foam? I can't find the leak. It has to be in the seam somewhere and money is tight right now. I was thinking some expanding foam and problem solved. Anyone heard or seen this idiotic idea tried before?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spent two weeks looking for the leak. It's super slow but it's really annoying. Do they have a slime that I could pour into a hole? My idea is that I drill a hole put the foam in and then patch the hope I drilled. Sounds fool proof but if it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all. LoL

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
Sounds interesting to me. I know of a guy that dumpster dived for a dinghy, and filled the holy tubes with empty plastic water bottles. That worked,

Expanding Polyisocyanurate foam could work, BUT it will absorb water if it gets wet... Then you'll have a bigger problem, and the dinghy will be trash.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can get inflatable tube sealant that you put in the tubes and roll around to coat all the surfaces. Don't put spray foam in there. If any water leaks in, it will get in the foam and you will end up with a heavy rigid dinghy that is now even worse to dispose of.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
So can I just fill my inflatable dingy with super expanding foam? I can't find the leak. It has to be in the seam somewhere and money is tight right now. I was thinking some expanding foam and problem solved. Anyone heard or seen this idiotic idea tried before?

Yes, it's been tried often.

It does not work.

Reasons: Bought at a hardware store foam costs more than re-tubing a dinghy.

The result is pathetic. It's heavy, lumpy, bumpy, looks crap and doesn't motor nor row we'll. The foam under your butt deteriorates quite quickly untill you have an ugly broked blob of foamy puss that's impossible to fit in a trash can if you could lift it.

Re-tube; fix prefessiinally, or re-new.

Mark

·
Master Mariner
8,397 Posts
I have no doubt that a professional inflatable boat repair shop could fix your dink for a lot less than the foam you are considering would cost.

·
12,267 Posts
Yes, it's been tried often.

It does not work.

Reasons: Bought at a hardware store foam costs more than re-tubing a dinghy.

The result is pathetic. It's heavy, lumpy, bumpy, looks crap and doesn't motor nor row we'll. The foam under your butt deteriorates quite quickly untill you have an ugly broked blob of foamy puss that's impossible to fit in a trash can if you could lift it.

Re-tube; fix prefessiinally, or re-new.

Mark

FOAM PUSS......now there is a profound head picture🤡🤡🤡👽

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
Having a pro shop repair a single seam is not all that expensive. However, the split is a clear sign it’s not the last problem with this raft. It’s on the exit ramp. Every dollar is just a days rent.

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
I am on year 9 in Rhode Island with my West Marine, by Zodiac, fold up. I have had to glue some seams, but it is still going strong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts