SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got about 11" of snow and my decks are covered. This is a good thing as it seems to provide a nice insulating layer. It is warmer inside my cabin than it was during the polar vortex a few weeks back...even though it is colder (0) outside my heaters are keeping up just fine and I am snug and warm. The only problem is forcing myself to leave for work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alot of snow could add up to alot of weight if its soggy packed snow. How much lower are you riding in the water? If you were on a flybridge motor yacht id wonder about you getting too top heavy and if there might be appliances not properly ventilating

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alot of snow could add up to alot of weight if its soggy packed snow. How much lower are you riding in the water? If you were on a flybridge motor yacht id wonder about you getting too top heavy and if there might be appliances not properly ventilating

Not even close. It's light fluffy powder and even thug it has been cold, the sun and the warmth from my cabin heaters migrating though the deck has melted much of it. I fact I have mini ice dams in my scuppers that I plan to chop off tomorrow. I am on a 41' center cockpit ketch and there was no noticeable difference in the level of my waterline.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Funny, I said basically the same thing about my home. I was glad for the extra insulation on the roof given the nasty dip in temperature!
Jeeze Jim--I don't know how you guys stand it! Here its been in the 30's at night of late and not getting above the low 50's during the day and we're freezing. It is too cold for working on the boat so maintenance has come to a stop. How you guy's endure the weather up north is beyond me! (You're better men that I!)

Reactions: jimgo

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
HyLyte, last winter wasn't bad. It was cold a few days (below freezing for the high) but not too many. The weather this year has been nasty. If I could convince my wife to move down near you, I'd be there as soon as I could find a job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts