SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
col 28 mk1.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colimbia28 mk1. The cabin floor has been hacked by previous owner. I want to repair and restore surface to original. It is like a squared pattern. Maybe done with a mold over resin? Ideas please before I tear it all up!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The way I'd do it in my locale, Michigan, may not be appropriate for your locale, but...

I'd replace all the floor that needs it with fresh marine plywood. No hardwood veneer, just plain marine ply. Then, I'd paint it with an oil based paint. Gray comes to mind. Or, a clear floor finish. Then, I'd template the floor, and carpet it with a nice commercial carpet that can be rolled up and taken off the boat for cleaning, or the off season.

Maybe not possible for you, and you might not need details on templating, but just in case:

Use sheets of medium to heavy paper (the brown stuff for wrapping packages is good), and go around all the edges of the floor, taping the paper to the floor with small bits of blue masking tape. Around bulkheads and other obstructions. Goes pretty fast. When you have the edges done, fill in the middle of the template. Use plenty of packing tape for a durable template. Remove the template from the boat and lay it on the back of your carpet (make sure you have the correct orientation!!!).

Use a dark spray paint to spray around the edges of the template. Now you have you entire sole imprinted on the back of the carpet. Cut it out with scissors (sharp ones). Roll it up and take it back to the carpet store and have them edge it.

note: The edging doesn't change the size of the carpet, so you don't need to account for it when you make your template and cut your carpet.

Take it to your boat, roll it out, and enjoy the perfect fit and great appearance. There is no need to attach the carpet to the sole.

I did this most recently on my Catalina 28.

The only downside on my Catalina was to get to the bilge, the carpet needs to be rolled up, but that only takes about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
then he would be all set when the carpet fad comes back. we don't what no stinker hard wood floors in a vintage boat. Seriously carpet in a boat?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Is your boat's floor gelcoat and fiberglass or wood (plywood)? Makes a big difference on how you approach the repair.

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
Seriously carpet in a boat?
I've had carpet in my boat the last 4 years.
I put it in as insulation to spend winters aboard in London and northern France.
The cheapest off cut in the carpet store was white plush thick pile. Very unboatlike. But it was sensational!
Very warm and soft on the tootsies in freezing conditions. Made life wonderful. Didn't get very dirty.
I just removed it the week before I sailed to the Caribbean.

Cost me $20.

😊

Mark

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
I've never been aboard a larger boat that did not have some carpet. Often decorative, but just like Mark, often for floor temps in cold water.

Best is for carpet to have a permanently attached non-skid backing. However, carpet non-skid is readily available as a separate item to put beneath it. One of the other is pretty important, IMO.

I wouldn't do wall to wall, as that wouldn't look good to me. If the existing floor looks good enough around the edges, it's a possibility.

·
Administrator
7,715 Posts
To keep the carpet stuck to the floor I used Velco, sticky sided, the Male part - is this sexist nowadays??????? - Dang! I use the side of the Velcro with small penises (binary and non-binary), stuck them to the floor and the carpet stuck to the velcro :) without the female side o the velcro being used.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
To keep the carpet stuck to the floor I used Velco, sticky sided, the Male part - is this sexist nowadays??????? - Dang! I use the side of the Velcro with small penises (binary and non-binary), stuck them to the floor and the carpet stuck to the velcro :) without the female side o the velcro being used.
Just step away from the Velcro.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts