SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Reaction score
The FWC has developed an online survey for future use in drafting anchoring restrictions for local municipalities....

The survey and it's "concepts" are designed to restrict your ability to choose where and for how long you can anchor. Please respond to the survey, even if you don't live in Florida.
I did it yesterday, and although I did strongly DISAGREE with giving local governing bodies any control in this because of the potential undue influence of the real estate industry and a handful of wealthy donors, I didn't think all of the ideas were bad.

I don't have a problem with a 60 day limited for unoccupied boats being left on public waters. If you need to leave your boat unattended for more than 60 days, perhaps you need a slip/mooring or haul it out.

I also have no problems with prohibitions against derelict vessels left to die (ie. navigation hazards) and a reasonable setback from public ramps and access to make it safer and more accessible to everyone.

However, I strongly disagreed with the setback for private land for 2 reasons
1) Property ownership ends at the high tide mark then it's public property
2) There was no distinction made between occupied/developed land and undeveloped land. Why should there be a setback for piece of undeveloped swamp along a river just because there is a residence SOMEWHERE on the estate.

· Registered
40 Posts
Reaction score
The problem will come later when they ignore the fact that you are against local governments intervention. But, they will then use the results of the survey to say, see, we need anchoring time limits and set-backs from certain areas.
You're right there is a risk my results will be cherry picked; however, those are real problems and honestly give a lot of cruisers/sailboaters a bad reputation.

How would you like to see them addressed?

I stand by my belief that I'd rather see one set of rules that focus on the abuses for the entire state instead of local governments coming up with a patchwork solution.

· Registered
40 Posts
Reaction score
I think in fairness homeowners and marina slipholders should be able to get on and off their docks. People should have a reasonable expectation to be able to launch and retrieve their boats at ramps. Aren't those ideas reasonable?
I agree they should be allowed to, but is that really a problem?

I always anchor far enough way from nearby docks to protect my own interests (swinging into it, dragging anchor, etc) that also gives those owners room to come and go as they please.

My concern is in narrow bodies of water, trying to keep you swinging circle atleast 150' from both sides of the shore, ends of docks would really limit those areas.

· Registered
40 Posts
Reaction score
My own position is that a stand-off from marine infrastructure (docks, piers, ramps, and such) is reasonable. The number for that offset is subject to discussion.
It seems we agree, though the statute should be cleared on those types of structure and not use a catch all like "Residential Propertly"

Also thinking about this last night...just because I and a majority of other boaters leave space for nearby dock owners; sadly doesn't mean the world isn't full of A$$h0l3$ who won't.

So it probably does need to be codified into something reasonable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.