SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about ambiguous title... I am headed to Florida next week on a business trip. Will be all over Florida by car for a week. I have heard rumors of good marine supply consignment type places there. Can anyone suggest some places to stop to look for used sailboat equipment? Not looking for anything specific but love to poke my nose in places that have shelves of used boat parts. I have been to Bacon's in Annapolis so something like that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Here's one, north of Fort Myers. (~25 miles or so)

Mariners Trading Co.
3622 North Tamiami Trail,
Port Charlotte, FL 33952

--Lots of decorative bric-a-brac in one half, real boat stuff in the other. Books & paper charts (remember those?) are half-price on already-low prices. Nice people.
There's a 'Marine Trading Post' a few miles south, but it looks to be mostly motor stuff, and, in spite of the name, new products, with consequent pricing.

4694 N Tamiami Trail
Port Charlotte, FL 33980
http://www.marinetradingpost.com/default.asp

#include [std-disclaimer]

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
theres a place in ft lauderdale, forget the name but its pretty much like a minneys in california...

everything from masts and riggig to anchors and sails, and books etc...new and mostly used

peace

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sailorman in Ft L

there's one in downtown miami I have heard about, is it StoneAge antiques? just look up used chandleries florida you'll get lots of results

There's the Dania flea market but that is 1x/year or something like that, near to the miami boat show time is it?
Sailorman is great! Go early with lots of time, deep pockets and plenty of empty stowage space. :)

Sailorman
350 Florida State Road 84
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
...and not far from Sailorman:

Bluewater Books & Charts
3233 SW 2nd Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33315

Cruising guides, Navigational Charts and other supplies - Bluewater Books & Charts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
dude I remember the chart place too! its famous!

I got my captains license at THE licensing school off the end of las olas...jajaja

good memories

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
dude I remember the chart place too! its famous!

I got my captains license at THE licensing school off the end of las olas...jajaja

good memories
Bluewater has moved -- twice, now -- so must be doing OK.
[rant]
I sent many a customer their way when I worked at Barnes & Noble. Fort Lauderdale claims to be "The Yachting Capital of the World" -- it says so right on the 17th Street Causeway Bridge -- but because our store was micro-managed by some clueless clown in New York, I had more boat books at home than the store had on the shelves. Boat folk don't want to wait while we special-order something we should have had in stock, so I sent them to Bluewater.
[/rant]

The Cosmic Muffin at 17th Street Causeway

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Bluewater has moved -- twice, now -- so must be doing OK.
[rant]
I sent many a customer their way when I worked at Barnes & Noble. Fort Lauderdale claims to be "The Yachting Capital of the World" -- it says so right on the 17th Street Causeway Bridge -- but because our store was micro-managed by some clueless clown in New York, I had more boat books at home than the store had on the shelves. Boat folk don't want to wait while we special-order something we should have had in stock, so I sent them to Bluewater.
[/rant]

The Cosmic Muffin at 17th Street Causeway
yup

I lived off las olas with my grandfather for 2 years after cruising into ft.lauderdale from a coast to coast cruise...

he lived on isle of venice for close to 30 years before moving to a retirement community.

I have vivid memories of everything to do with ft.lauderdale, broward library, the piers, opera house, playing tennis at chris everts...etc... as it was one of my fave places in the world

sorry for the thread drift

back to boat stuff!:D:D:D

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My best shot will be anything between Orlando and Charleston, SC. Sounds like Sailors Exchange in St. Augustine might be my best bet... I will keep the others on alist for when I have more time on the Gulf coast or further down Atlantic side to FLD... Thanks all...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.