SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us pass through, or cruise in FL waters on our trips, whether it's a return from the Bahamas or Caribbean, or FL itself is the destination.

The fact that FL has been a sort of 'wild-west' environment when it comes to anchoring can't be debated. Municipalities often have their own regulations running from one extreme, (no anchoring permitted under any circumstances whatsoever), to the other, which is basically no regulation - anchor where you want, for as long as you want. The end result is the visiting boat can find itself in disputed territory and unwittingly in violation of often obscure local ordinances.

There's no denying that many places in FL have a 'derelict boat' problem. Many property owners, as well as other boat owners are concerned about any damages these boats, which are rarely insured, may cause if they break mooring and drift, or sink. Another issue driving the problem is owners of private residences are complaining boats are often anchored too close to their own docks and vessels.

The FL Fish & Wildlife department, (formerly The Florida Marine Patrol), has developed a survey to gather data in the hopes of creating reasonable and appropriate regulations for all vessels within FL waters when it comes to anchoring. Please take the survey and make yourselves heard. What happens in FL can very likely lay the groundwork for anchoring regs in other parts of the country where cruising is popular.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AnchoringSurvey

I'm sure many of you may live in areas where anchoring regs are already on the books. If you do, and they work, please share them on the survey form!

Reactions: WGEwald

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I took it. I don't think it will do any good, but what the hell.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There's a real problem with the validity of the survey, I think. I recall many questions offering multiple choices of distances, time limits, etc. that regulations should enforce. But even if you endorse liberal distance or time limits, you also effectively endorse regulating those limits, where they aren't regulated now.
So the survey results are pretty well guaranteed to show that most respondents favored regulation of anchoring. The only differences will be in the details of the regulation.
The only answers you can give that don't inadvertently endorse regulation are to write in "zero" or make a comment to that effect. And those responses are not likely to be counted in statistics, but only anectodally. So, it's basically rigged and a waste of your time.
John V.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts