• Placida

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update.....
Thank you all. We finally got down there to check things out. Not many options for a boat we plan on getting which is about 40’ with a 5 maybe 6 feet draw. We’ve narrowed it down to Gasparilla Marina in Placida or Fishermen’s Village in Punta Gorda. Twin Dolphin in Bradenton is a third option but we’re not sure we want to live in Bradenton. Any experience or thoughts are appreciated!!

We are moving to Florida and trying to identify a location to move to. We plan on sailing a 30-40’ once we’re settled and ready to purchase our next sailboat. We’ve sailed a 45’ Seamaster for about 10 years on the Long Island Sound out of CT several years ago and are rusty. We’re looking for a cruising sailing community with reasonably priced marina’s that don’t have a 5 year waiting list. Also a location where I can walk or bike ride to the beach.
Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
4,710 Posts
Reasonably priced on the gulf coast of Florida? That's tough, rest is easy.

Maybe Pine Island? The island itself is mostly mangrove, but there are some beaches at the North end of the island and easy access to barrier islands with great beaches.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We’d be willing to pay what we need to and wait out a marina on a waiting list that is more reasonable. I know it’s expensive there and am prepared for that...just don’t want to spend 15 years paying some ridiculous marina fees.

·
Master Mariner
9,011 Posts
In a state that is tearing down marinas to build condos at an astronomical rate, you'd do much better getting a slip with an ugly condo than wait for a marina slip, I think.
Florida is a very unfriendly state when it comes to the low end boating community and I moved out years ago.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,067 Posts
If the Gulf Coast isn’t locked in stone for you, you can find reasonably priced homes and marinas on the east coast on the ICW between Stuart and Titusville.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks good advice so far. We are focusing on gulf side because my husband thinks it’s safer sailing for us given how rusty we are and that we’ve only sailed on the LIS. We are planning to check things out in July though and will do some exploring.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Lots of options to get close to what you want. I'm familiar with Tampa Bay so here's my 2 cents.
-Inside the Bay is pretty competitive for slip space, movng around to the gulf side of St Petersburg and north, there are tons of options. Some larger operations, some holes in the wall. You pretty much have to spend a couple days visiting places.
-If you want to walk to the beach and be close to your boat, look at Palm Harbor/ Largo. But that's not gonna be cheap. Tarpon Springs/New Port Richey will be cheaper, but the beach situation is somewhat diminished.
-St Petersburg and Pinellas Park offer some decent living options, Harborage Marina is very nice but a little more spendy, they just purged a bunch of dock queens. St Pete Municipal Marina is the least expenive option, pretty nice place, but there's a wait-list. Both are right downtown.
-Lots of options for residential dockage that would be suitable for a sailboat.
-Generally, slips are ~$9-$15/foot depending on the location. If you are Military/Retire Military, MacDill AFB has well protected slips for dirt cheap but anything more than 4.5' draft will have difficulty at low tide.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Capta has the right idea about buying a condo with a slip. I missed an opportunity to purchase a very nice townhouse in Palmetto with a slip for just a wee bit under 300k. Just couldn't move on it fast enough because of other entanglements. Hard to tell which way the real estate/condo market will go but slip prices have been moving up consistently for the past 20 years and I doubt that trend will change unless something drastic happens in the economy. St. Pete Marina is nice but no telling how long the wait list would be although I think it may possible to buy a boat that is already berthed there and have the slip transferable. I know it was that way at one time but you would have to check to see if that's still available. Gulfport is another option if you're a resident but neither of those locations is within walking distance to the beach. Not for me anyway. Florida is a very diverse state with very different vibes in the various locals. The advise of checking out different locations ahead of time to get a feel for the place is very good advise indeed.
Whatever you do, avoid the panhandle like the plague, it's fugly and full of cranky old ******* cracker contrarians.

·
Registered
688 Posts
St. Pete Marina is nice but no telling how long the wait list would be although I think it may possible to buy a boat that is already berthed there and have the slip transferable. I know it was that way at one time but you would have to check to see if that's still available.
Yes, they do allow the new owner to adopt the slip.

I inquired a a couple months back and there was no wait on their up to 28' slips, I've heard everything from 6 months to two years for the larger slips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, they do allow the new owner to adopt the slip.

I inquired a a couple months back and there was no wait on their up to 28' slips, I've heard everything from 6 months to two years for the larger slips.
FYI not only are there no slips available but they’ve closed their waiting list too

·
Registered
122 Posts
Capta has the right idea about buying a condo with a slip. I missed an opportunity to purchase a very nice townhouse in Palmetto with a slip for just a wee bit under 300k. Just couldn't move on it fast enough because of other entanglements. Hard to tell which way the real estate/condo market will go but slip prices have been moving up consistently for the past 20 years and I doubt that trend will change unless something drastic happens in the economy. St. Pete Marina is nice but no telling how long the wait list would be although I think it may possible to buy a boat that is already berthed there and have the slip transferable. I know it was that way at one time but you would have to check to see if that's still available. Gulfport is another option if you're a resident but neither of those locations is within walking distance to the beach. Not for me anyway. Florida is a very diverse state with very different vibes in the various locals. The advise of checking out different locations ahead of time to get a feel for the place is very good advise indeed.
Whatever you do, avoid the panhandle like the plague, it's fugly and full of cranky old *** cracker contrarians.
LOL! yes, avoid the panhandle like the plague!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts