SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually pick up my bottom paint at or around the winter boat show and I'm due to paint this spring.

If all goes according to plan with the business we'll be relocating to Marathon in the Keys sometime in the next 24 months (we already bought a place there). The problem is my window isn't fixed. I could be punching out this summer or 20 months from now depending on how some things fall out.

I've been using Pettit Hydrocoat on Barnegat Bay and have been very happy with it here; but I understand bottom growth is a LOT more of an issue in South Florida waters.

I'm looking for some local knowledge. Is Hydrocoat an effective option for the Keys or should I be looking at other options?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,090 Posts
I have painted the bottom on my boat 3 times over the last 8 years, the first time with Trinidad SR and the last two times with the West Marine PCA ablative. No real difference in performance in my opinion, and the WM paint is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I have 5 years on WM and it still looked great after 3 months in Marathon. Keep in mind that Boot Key Harbor grows lots of angel hair on the hull, regardless of who's paint you use. For the prop, I used WM transducer paint - absolutely nothing touched the prop - ever. Neat stuff.

Gary :cool:

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have painted the bottom on my boat 3 times over the last 8 years, the first time with Trinidad SR and the last two times with the West Marine PCA ablative. No real difference in performance in my opinion, and the WM paint is a lot cheaper.
A local WM store manager swore their PCA was Micron CSC. Don't know if any Sailnetters know if that's true?

Andy how often do you have to clean the growth off your hull?

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 5 years on WM and it still looked great after 3 months in Marathon. Keep in mind that Boot Key Harbor grows lots of angel hair on the hull, regardless of who's paint you use. For the prop, I used WM transducer paint - absolutely nothing touched the prop - ever. Neat stuff.

Gary 5 years damn! I thought I was doing good getting three years.

Now what's angel hair? Does it slough off when you sail or does it need to be scrubbed off? I'm guessing with the water temps there I could anchor in five feet and scrub the bottom myself :D

I'll be on a canal in the Sombrero Beach section right off Boot Key Harbor so I'd expect similar growth to what you get there.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Angel hair is a form of filamentous algae, very common in Boot Key Harbor due to higher than normal nutrient levels. Grows mainly from the waterline down to about 2 feet and is easily scrubbed off with a scrub brush. It will really slow you down if you leave it in place, though.

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Angel hair is a form of filamentous algae, very common in Boot Key Harbor due to higher than normal nutrient levels. Grows mainly from the waterline down to about 2 feet and is easily scrubbed off with a scrub brush. It will really slow you down if you leave it in place, though.

OK, so I need to keep the hair off her bottom. Is that called a boat Brazilian? :eek:

·
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I'll emphasize for clarity:

Content data PER COLOR information?
Color makes no difference.

If you go here and look at the MSDS for any color of the Interlux CSC paints they all say the same thing 25-50% copper oxide by weight (yeah that's a really wide range).

The MSDS for Petit Trinidad SR lists 60% cuprous (copper) oxide for all colors.

If any one color had more copper it would be more expensive and the manufacturer would advertise the difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.