SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought Wandering Star home, arriving yesterday. I found crew and information on this forum. The weather (two tropical depressions) threw us a few curves. We spent two days at sea, making 186 miles our first 24 hours (with the current) then went ICW to avoid a forecast 40 knot NE. Five days of heavy rain and high winds saw us at Charleston, where we went out to sea again. Another forecast of adverse conditions brought by the second low brought us closer in, but we stayed at sea. This time the challenge was thick fog and light wind. Our best day was passing Hatteras (far off) with flying fish, dolphins and petrels. The next day we had to divert to avoid naval gunfire, but saw a big shark. After four days at sea we made Cape May to refuel. The next day we continued alongshore through NY Harbor to Mount Sinai (34 hours). We sailed in strong and light breezes, the boat performing well. We navigated the Ditch in rain, fog and wind. Fourteen days underway brought only three sunny ones. The crew was fun, hardworking, and dedicated.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Great work WS! Sounds like a helluva trip. And it's great to hear the crew worked out well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Well done, and well sailed. Glad you enjoyed it in spite of (or maybe in part because of) the several challenges..

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
I am glad that you and your Wandering Star made the trip successfully back to Mt. Sinai harbor. That is a great accomplishment for you.
It was nice to meet you a while back in Huntington over dinner.
Welcome back to LI.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Congrats, and looking forward to a longer post with photos.. you do have photos, right???

·
Tom Kringstad
38 Posts
Photos from Wandering Star Delivery

The following link will take you to a selection of the photos taken during the delivery of Wandering Star from Ft. Lauderdale to Mt. Sinai.

Kodakgallery.com: Slideshow

As part of the crew, I will concur with John that while it was a challenging trip due to the unsettled weather, it was a great experience. There were events along the way that we can try to write up and share, but all of them essentially re-inforce time honored values of proper vessel and crew preparation with prudent decision making while under way. This was a delivery with a time bound schedule due to work commitments which influenced our decision to keep sailing through conditions where we we might otherwise have stayed on a hook if it were a more casual cruise. Crew safety was still foremost in the decision making progress. I will add that we ate very well and this was a very important ingredient that kept crew morale high even though there was so much rain along the way. It also helped that the trip ended on a glorious day as we came through NY Harbor and Long Island Sound with beautiful clear skies and nice warm weather. Oddly, the three days of sun we had included the day we set out, the day we rounded Cape Hatteras, and the day we arrived.

Those of you who live in the Mt. Sinai area have a great addition to your sailing fleet.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Nice photos, and sweet looking vessel. It's always great to have a happy, and well food crew, and for the crew to have a responsible owner. Congradulations to all involed......i2f

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all.
Good food, good company, a nice day at the end. Challenges met.
Most of all a safe and successful trip make for good feelings.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Congrats, and well done, gents!!

I like your boat. It has a solid look about it. What is the make (sorry if you mentioned that elsewhere)?

Did you guys eat the mahi mahi?:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where do you keep her in Mt. Sinai? I have mine on a mooring in the Ralph's Fishing Station tender area just north of the little island in the middle of the harbor with the bbq on it.

·
Tom Kringstad
38 Posts

I like your boat. It has a solid look about it. What is the make (sorry if you mentioned that elsewhere)?

It's an Alden design built in 1968. John can answer with more details about it. I don't have much experience with wooden boats, but can say the craftsmanship on it is truly impressive. It's very solid and we never felt like the boat would have issues handling the conditions we might have faced.

[See updated note from owner about the design at: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/55452-alden-knott.html#post497741]

We did not eat the mahi mahi. Derrick caught it pretty early in the morning of our first day out. There was a different dolphin fish that shadowed our boat for well over an hour but wouldn't bite. I'm sure Derrick could have whipped up a great meal with it.

Tom.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We're leaving by the end of this week to sail our 42' Vagabond from Florida to Newport, RI. First to Charleston,S.Carolina, staying within 20 miles of shore. My question is - how did you get your weather information? I'm thinking VHF should work offshore. Also have a TV with a high gain antenna.
chuck

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
VHF has a relatively limited range. I'd highly recommend gettinga shortwave receiver capable of getting Marine SSB radio bands.
We're leaving by the end of this week to sail our 42' Vagabond from Florida to Newport, RI. First to Charleston,S.Carolina, staying within 20 miles of shore. My question is - how did you get your weather information? I'm thinking VHF should work offshore. Also have a TV with a high gain antenna.
chuck

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought, but didn't use, a sony shortwave. The vhf was still recieving weather over 85 miles out to sea. If you're going to stay close it should do fine.
Wandering Star is moored about opposite the westernmost town dock, right at the channel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you for the PM, our daughter is in New York City so we're looking to sail into the harbour to meet up with her. Have no idea where to anchor yet, docking would seem high price stuff- hope the coast guard lets us pass thru.
gotta love adventure. it'll be a month before we're into Newport- maybe for july 4th!

·
2,449 Posts
Congrats on the trip. Great photos and one very beautiful boat.

·
TEAM ZISSU
98 Posts
fish fight

I fought the fish, but I let him live

1 - 19 of 19 Posts