SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking at boats that are good for sailing along the gulf coast. I will be going out of St. Andrews Bay and sailing along the coast. I would like a boat that is comfortable for two people to sleep on overnight with the possibility of sleeping four (it doesn't need to be comfortable at that point as it will be used for transport to camping sites). It would be used for day trips mostly out to snorkeling spots but I would also like to make excursions lasting up to four days. Me and my friends tend to pack light so some food, bathing suits, backpacking hammocks, snorkeling gear, and some other small things would be the extent of what we bring.

I would like one that can also be sailed by one person as my friends don't sail. I am hoping to find a boat that can be launched easily from a trailer (I have a free place to keep it next to a boat ramp). I was hoping to stay under $3500 but I could go higher.

I grew up sailing smaller boats and spent most of my time on a hobie 16 up north. I just moved to the gulf coast and figured it was time to get a larger boat to tackle some longer trips. I have been on craigslist religiously the past month but cannot commit to anything as I am not completely sure what would be the optimal boat. Would an hunter 18.5 be way to small? The 25's seem a little large. Any suggestions on the optimal boats would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sarcasm? Not at all. I did significantly exceed his price range though. However, I truly think the 26X is the ideal boat to cruise the Florida Panhandle.
Trailerable, extreme shoal draft, fast under power, some sailing ability, unsinkable, etc.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Sarcasm? Not at all. I did significantly exceed his price range though. However, I truly think the 26X is the ideal boat to cruise the Florida Panhandle.
Trailerable, extreme shoal draft, fast under power, some sailing ability, unsinkable, etc.
Wink Wink, I get it. ;) Myself I've never been sarcastic in this forum. :laugher

·
Registered
765 Posts
Who needs sarcasm? I think the Mac26X is the future of sailing and the numbers sold prove it. With her extreme shoal draft with board up and ability to get home quickly, I thinks she is actually safer than most heavier traditional boats (IF the water ballast is in and she is not overloaded). For cruising under a combination of sail and power, she is ideal for the extreme shoal water of the Florida panhandle and Big Bend. In fact, very few other boats can cruise close to shore in the Big Bend and the 26X would be perfect for Cedar Key area. The ability to trailer her to the Keys is icing on the cake. If I did not already have an older 28' sailboat, I'd buy a Mac26X.
I should become a 26X dealer cuz I am a believer.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My nephew just bought a Soverign 23 at a low price and he now has his Catalina 22 also. He has the trailer and the rig (not presently on the boat, but no outboard. He's now keeping both boat in payment slips and needs to get rid of the Catalina. Of course , this means your drive to Jacksonville to pick it up and what he might want for the boat. I don't know what his plans are. I'm sending you a PM with some contact info if you'rs interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts