SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Youth and Ambition Part 3 (Chub Cay Bahamas to Rose Island Bahamas)

After checking in at Chub Cay James, Jake and I hung out for a while on the dock and fueled up. Some Bahamians pulled up and said they were conch fisherman...Read more and watch Part 3 of the series here: Pure Ocean TV | pureoceantv.com

We will Post part 4 next week! Thanks for Watching!!!:)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Neat vids, but it was obvious that the guy using the gaff for the dolphin had no idea what he was doing. Anyone that has ever been on a charter-fishing boat and watched a large fish being gaffed knows the gaff should always be facing up--not down. And with the gaff facing up there is no chance of driving the point through the inflatable. With the gaff facing down, the odds are good that you will eventually gaff the dink. Whoops!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neat vids, but it was obvious that the guy using the gaff for the dolphin had no idea what he was doing. Anyone that has ever been on a charter-fishing boat and watched a large fish being gaffed knows the gaff should always be facing up--not down. And with the gaff facing up there is no chance of driving the point through the inflatable. With the gaff facing down, the odds are good that you will eventually gaff the dink. Whoops!
Good advice! Next time will do that. Thanks

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
One of the things I learned many years ago about gaffing fish was to try to slip the gaff beneath the fishes head. Fish tend to dive when trying to elude the gaff, which put the point of the gaff right under their jaw. Additionally, when you try to gaff them in the back, if you're successful, you'll destroy some of the best meat in the process. I personally witnessed an angler in the Marquesses trying to gaff a big permit that was directly beneath the gunwale of his aluminum boat. The gaff missed the fish and punched a quarter-inch diameter in the hull just beneath the water line. Neat stuff you learn along the way. Good luck on the cruise guys and I hope to see much more from you in the near future.

Gary :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts