SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Why make things complicated...... Use the KISS principle.......your head flushes with raw/salt water either to a holding tank or overboard(when legal). At the end of the day switch to DRY bowl and fill and flush the head with fresh water from the sink/shower hand-held. You do need to put enough through it to clear the lines typically approx 2 bowl fulls and your head smell should get a lot nicer.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
The idea here is use raw water most of the time. When you are closing up the boat for being away/stagnant raw wate, then you flip the valve(s)/close seacock , fill the sink, draw that through everything to rinse with fresh. Then when opening the boat back up put things back to raw water. So, more of a maintenance routine setup vs every flush
Got it now. So the only advantage over using the sink sprayer or a bucket fill the bowl to flush, is to clear the raw water intake line too.

To each their own, but I really don't think it matters that the intake line has rotting sea water in it. Are you trying to avoid that first flush low tide experience? I had raw water intake line on my last boat that were 17 years old, when I sold her and they had not permeated or been replaced. Waste hose didn't make it that long.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
I skimmed but did not read every post here.
I have strong feelings about using potable water from the tanks directly connected to the Head pump.. powers that be have very strong rules and laws about backflow of freshwater. I don't see any exception in a marine environment.

Bacteria can and do go against the flow of things just like gas. bacteria don't depend on directional flow and can permeate the plastic tubing and fittings back to the freshwater tanks, I'd rather live with stink then run the risk of contaminated drinking water. (Even though I would never drink water out of the tank/s many people do)

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,132 Posts
I skimmed but did not read every post here.
I have strong feelings about using potable water from the tanks directly connected to the Head pump.. powers that be have very strong rules and laws about backflow of freshwater. I don't see any exception in a marine environment.

Bacteria can and do go against the flow of things just like gas. bacteria don't depend on directional flow and can permeate the plastic tubing and fittings back to the freshwater tanks, I'd rather live with stink then run the risk of contaminated drinking water. (Even though I would never drink water out of the tank/s many people do)
I don't drink tank water. Tank water is used only for cleaning.
I flush with tank water using the hand shower. I still can flush using sea water. I would have to open the seacock.

·
Registered
Catalina 38
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't think anyone was pro my "before" picture, some confusion maybe initially. Not sure why the previous owner thought it was acceptable (I guess everyone has different risk tolerances). He did take a lot of steps to avoid any smells so, guess priority of that above all else.

As far as the extra plumbing vs flushing with shower head, true it's about getting the lines, the pump itself and the water inlet to the bowl clean as well, avoiding mineral build up etc. May be worth it to some, not others.

As all the blackwater hoses are very old/permeated so may just get this over to a designed for freshwater flushing toilet while replacing the hoses vs the Patti hall thing discussed here. We'll see.

Interesting to see the varying options! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
rather than going through the process of extra hoses/valves, ect. just fill the toilet bowl up with fresh water from the tap using a pot, or the shower head if present?
The only issue with that is that the inlet hose never gets flushed with fresh water. For some, that may not be such a big thing, but on my boat, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Because it smells really bad when you flush. On Minnewaska's boat, he says that it's a minor problem that ends after the first flush. For some reason, the problem lasts longer than one or two flushes on my boat. Not fun.
Might depend on the length of the intake hose. If long, it may take more than and ordinary amount of pumping to clear it out.

·
New to cruising
52 Posts
It's a manual head direct plumbed to water tanks. The Peggie mod for occasionally flushing freshwater through manual head that is also plumbed to raw water..normally has a T between the sink drain and the raw water close to the thru hull.

My impression (could be wrong) is why only a T works in that setup is an assumption that the sink drain normally drains through a thru hull.mine doesn't, it goes into a sump box. Which, feels like it complicated things as the raw water could choose to run over to the sump box during idle operation and siphon.
Sounds like your toilet only works with fresh water and you want the option to use sea water. I opted for fresh water only because one flush with sea water and you’ve got decaying sea life smelling in your plumbing forever after. But if you plan to do a lot of off shore sailing and don’t want to use a bucket off shore, then you can replumb.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
But that still runs the risk of bacteria
getting back to the fresh water
No, it does not.

Google "backflow preventer." They eliminate this risk. I did NOT say check valve.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
No, it does not.

Google "backflow preventer." They eliminate this risk. Every toilet without a watercloset uses this method, including bidets and most hospital fixtures. I did NOT say check valve.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
You believe in what you believe and I will go on with what I believe, I would never drink water from the tanks anyhow so it doesn't matter to me, but, backflow is not a guarantee it's a prevention most of the literature says it "prevents"

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Our fresh water heads are electric and use one of those Jabsco Solenoid and Syphon Breaks. I have no idea how they work, but are considered mandatory to avoid contamination. It's description uses the word "ensures" there is no backflow from the toilet to the water system.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
one flush with sea water and you’ve got decaying sea life smelling in your plumbing forever after
Nothing decays and smells for about a day or more, so unless you flush less regularly than that, there is no rotting smell in the plumbing.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,436 Posts
We only use bottled water (Fiji Brand Water to be exact) to flush our head. We have since installed a plastic bottle compactor next to the head so we could reduce our carbon foot print. The compactor required more solar and a wind turbine but we found it was also necessary to install a hydro generator to keep the batteries topped off. We occasionally drink the bottled Figi water but only when our filter is due for a change.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts