SailNet Community banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
You believe in what you believe and I will go on with what I believe, I would never drink water from the tanks anyhow so it doesn't matter to me, but, backflow is not a guarantee it's a prevention most of the literature says it "prevents"
This not about "belief," it is about long established engineering practice by engineers and health experts smarter and more expereinced on this topic than us. Every water system you have ever drank from (unless home well water) has non-water closet toilets connected with backflow preventers. Next time you eat out, look at the toilets in the bathroom and figure out how they are isolated from the water served at you table and used for drinking. Backflow preventers. Double block and bleed. Same with the factory that bottled the water you drink on the boat.

as for the safety of the water on the boat, that is about good sanitation practices. There is no reason they cannot be safe if you follow established ANSI practice.

This is about standards of practice, not belief. Belief is for religion.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,298 Posts
Again this is kind of a go no where discussion.
Best practice is to completely isolate tank plumbing from toilet plumbing.
Best practice is to not drink tank water.
If sea water leads to smelly hoses... keep sea water out of the hoses

Flushing can be done by pouring tank water into the bowl and flushing. Or use a hand shower to fill the boat. I know it's a lot of work to turn the valve open and shoot water into the bowel.

My head and hoses do not smell.
I replace the outflow hose regularly for that purpose.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
I love how y'all try to put me in my place lol, I've been in contracting for more years than some people have been alive. my dad was in a plumbing service business, HVAC was my business, so I know a little bit about institutional systems and to stay out of trouble.., I would never be caught saying "I guarantee you won't get bacteria through The backflow prevention devices"
If I know anything at all I know it's all about blame not about what works! Have at it!!

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,298 Posts
By the way... I drip some liquid soap into the bowl and use the toilet brush when I flush.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Best practice is to not drink tank water.
Really? Offshore passage making, even circumnavigation,

cruisers living away from civilisation months at a time never stopping at marinas

those using watermakers?

As someone who drinks nearly a gallon of water ever day

yet has drunk maybe a couple gallons of bottled water since Perrier was first introduced to the NA market

I really find this hard to believe among rational non germaphobic sailors.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,298 Posts
Really? Offshore passage making, even circumnavigation,

cruisers living away from civilisation months at a time never stopping at marinas

those using watermakers?

As someone who drinks nearly a gallon of water ever day

yet has drunk maybe a couple gallons of bottled water since Perrier was first introduced to the NA market

I really find this hard to believe among rational non germaphobic sailors.
This situation you need to have tanks that are clean/sterile or a way to filter the water if you drink from tanks.

My stainless steel tanks are 36 years old. They have no inspection port or way to clean them. For years I added some chorlox to kill nasties. When I was offshore with a watermaker I did not put the product water into the tanks... because I used it for drinking and it made enough for that purpose. If I needed more cleaning water I could divert product water to the tanks.

Since bottled water is so readily available and inexpensive we drink only bottled water. I suppose you could use a good water filter and drink tank water. I have a small culligan system for that purpose. But that water is only used boiled when cooking...

We filter tap water at home.

YMMV

41 - 50 of 50 Posts