SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fly Into Marsh Harbor

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  MI248 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm planning on taking our boat to the Abacos this winter (2015) and will need to fly some family and friends in and out of Marsh Harbor in the Abacos. Last time I was there they were building a new airport. I'm interested in any updated views on:

• What Florida city id best to fly out of?
  • Any recommended airlines (quality, reliability, schedules and of course cost)?
  • Any airlines to avoid?

Oh yeah..if Im in the wrong forum room for Bahamas' questions please let me know.

#2 ·
Tons of little puddle jump private planes that fly from FL to the out islands as well. Not the least expensive, but the most flexible. Trouble is, you pay for the plane, whether one or six passengers. For the cost per seat to rival the scheduled folks, you usually need quite a few people.

#3 ·
I've only flown in there once and it was Bahamas Air from Miami (through Nassau)if I remember right.

But, there are a ton of charter flights as mentioned previously and some of them are not too much worse. "Yellow Taxi" is one if I remember right.

My favorite Bahama airline is Watermakers Air, but they don't fly to Marsh Harbor.

#4 ·
Lots of daily flights from Nassau, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando. I think also direct flight from Jacksonville, Fl.
airlines which fly are delta, united, silver and bahamas air. One way ticket usually ~$200US
Use airport code MHH when searching.
other option is Comanche air, fly into small field south of Marsh.
Treasure Cay, north of Marsh also has an airport with regular scheduled flights.
marsh harbour airport no change, but the new terminal has just opened.
if guests flying in send them a short note that they are joiming you on you veasel as crew for x# days, helps with customs. If guest bringing in boar parts fax them copy of cruising permit or you could be hit with duty.

#8 ·
Just remember that everyone is on island time when setting up connecting flights. I can remember my Bahamas Air flight showing up two hours late at MH one time. We made the connecting flight in Nassau, but we were OJ Simpsoning it through the airport.

#13 ·
Easiest answers are from Google. Pick 3 FL cities (say JAX MCO and MIA) and google "JAX to MHH; MCO to MHH, MIA to MHH) you'll have a tone of info in about 60 seconds. The rest is just details. Love flying over the sunken 2 seater on approach to MHH . . . you know you've made it to "somewhere else" ;-)

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.