SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ! A friend and I have recently aquired a flying dutchman that the PO stripped all the parts off a couple of years ago...we have very little idea how to put it back together..

I've heard, just stand the mast up and figure it out from there, and also from an old dude on here, "wash it or don't wash it, just take it out and sail it before you do any major overhaul" dunno who said that, but what a great idea.. we also have a Starwind 22 swingkeel, and race on a Bavaria 36.. but would really like to give dinghy sailing a go..

Soooo.... we can't find any rigging info for an older flying dutchman (no. 383)
just thought i'd share/ask for advice.. (there are 2 5gal buckets full to the top of various blocks, cleats, shackles, lines etc.. )

Anybody have any diagrams ?? (the boat has a V shaped rail halfway down the bow, and i've never seen anything like it in Flying Dutchman websites.. it's just over 19 feet long, and there's NO scuppers ?!)
Joey

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fifty years ago or so Lands End was a sailing equipment vender. Annually they put out a catalogue that was a picture book treasure of stuff for sailers. If you could find any of the old catalogues, they would be invaluable.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I remember an episode from many years ago when I lived in the SF Bay area. There was a world class FD sailor from the area. One year, just before a big regatta in Southern CA, he had an accident (I no longer remember the details) that ripped loose a shroud. He made a quick and dirty fix just bringing it down to a seat thwart, then proceeded to win everything by a mile. (He was really GOOD). Next month just about every FD in southern CA had the shrouds fastened to the seat thwart!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts