SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my rigger the other day about future plans for my boat and I mentioned wanted to put my drifter on a furler, and possibly another flying sail like a spinnaker or code 0-1.

He was telling me that the furlers for flying sails are a great idea that hasn't been perfected yet. He noted all the differences in torsion rope styles and how some even use lines attached from the middle of the torsion rope to the luff of the sail to demonstrate how they're still working out the kinks to the system.

I've used sock/snuffer type systems before and I really don't like them. Who here has use a flying sail on a furler? Anyone know if they're as good as the marketing claims they are?

MedSailor

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Med,

It really depends on what sail you are talking about.

Tight luff sails like Code 0's, gennikers, ect work very well. The technology is mature, easy to use, and frankly not much more expensive than a sock.

Loose luff sails... Well it becomes much more about technique. I have one that works fine, I have also heard a lot of reports of top down furlers that aren't really as good as they should be. It requires ensuring there is enough tension on the torsion rope for it to roll quickly, generally this means cranking on the backstay just before trying to roll the sail since just adding halyard tension is just as likely to pull the rig forward (very boat dependant).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.