SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Reaction score
I've been watching the Sailrite videos lately thinking about doing the same project. It doesn't sound like the same foam backed vinyl they use. In their projects they are using 3M Trim Adhesive which they are spraying on the material very all before installation. It looks like it gets tacky very quick and holds the material up easily and also allows you to move it around somewhat to get the right fit.

· Registered
146 Posts
Reaction score
I did rip out my sagging headliner in the aft head and decided to paint it instead. Even after sanding a lot it still took probably 5 coats to get a decent paint job over there. Had I saved the original covering I would go back and make a template and use the foam backed vinyl he's talking about to redo the area. I'm thinking it would've taken a lot less time to do that than ask the painting I did.

Now I'm planning on using the foam backed vinyl in the aft cabin on places where there is no equipment mounted. Where there is I'll be using panels secured with Velcro most likely.

· Registered
146 Posts
Reaction score
The adhesive Sailrite uses in their videos is 3M Super Trim Adhesive. The 3M Super 77 seems to be used on sails in their videos.

I did use a high solids paint from Valspar I believe but the problem was the unfinished fiberglass it covered too way too much time to try to flatten and still didn't look great after many coats. I had no problem with the coverage. I think in the future I will just recover with new vinyl. I think it'll be a lot easier than all the prep needed for making rough fiberglass look nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.