SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to make a decision in foam for new cockpit cushions. Thinking 2" but can't figure out firmness. I want something that won't bottom out under my 220 but won't feel like the real hard ones I see on some boats. Can anyone advise? Looking at 2" dry fast from foam factory at this point...

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Mine were custom made by an outfit in Texas, the texture is medium and they're only about an inch thick. However, they're not fabric covered - they're covered with a plastic film that is bonded to the cushion. They came with the boat when I purchased it, and unfortunately, I do not know the manufacturers name, but an internet search may be of some help. Now, for added cushioning for my 210-pound butt, I use a WM folding cushion with a backrest.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Look around for closed cell foam of the marine variety. It won't get wet very quickly and will function as an unofficial flotation device, closely akin to the cooler that got tossed out with you. It's fairly dense so Gary's 210-pound butt would be less likely to bottom out. Be sure to make your cover slightly smaller than the foam. It will compress the foam and keep its shape better. It also keeps the cover in place. Another, more expensive option, is to get them custom made out of skinned closed cell foam.

·
19,488 Posts
Mine were custom made by an outfit in Texas, the texture is medium and they're only about an inch thick. However, they're not fabric covered - they're covered with a plastic film that is bonded to the cushion. They came with the boat when I purchased it, and unfortunately, I do not know the manufacturers name, ...
These guys might be what you mean:

https://bottomsiders.com/product-category/accessory-cushions/

We've had normal foam/vinyl covered cockpit cushions.. nice until they get left out in the rain by accident, then a soggy mess to try to dry out. Close cell foam would be my choice, covered or not.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
We saw BottomSiders at the Annapolis show...pretty slick. If/when we replace our cockpit cushions, I think that's the way I'd go. I'm a bit leery about their ability to withstand pointy objects, but otherwise I like those.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,060 Posts
+1 for C Cushions!

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
At seven to nine hundred bucks for cushions thats a bit less than what I paid for the boat. I think I'll try to make my own.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The C-cushions have a slick surface, similar to the old water-skiing belts of the 70s. Personally I disliked the ones which came with my skiff, which is why I remembered the name.

For my pit, I have closed-cell foam cushion seat bases which I covered in Sunbrella with Phifertex bottoms. For the backs, I have big pillows which are actually dog beds stuffed into pillow covers. I move 'em around the boat from the salon to the pit or the nets. All of these are washable.

Hancock Fabrics does carry various foams FYI

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... maybe I was unclear. We are making our own cushions. Wife is doing all the sewing. I just want to know what kind of foam to order. Is there anyone here who has made their own and would recommend a foam that would hit somewhere between patio cushions which collapse easily and foam that would feel more like sitting on the fiberglass? Thanks. I do not need to know what kind of cushions people have been able to purchase. Just looking for pointers on the foam...

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
You definitely want to use closed cell foam for cockpit cushions. Open cell foam sucks up water like a sponge and will not dry out for weeks if it gets wet. As for the covers, you may want to consider vinyl - not fabric. Again, cockpits tend to get wet in rough, or rainy weather, and the last thing you want to store in your boat and a soaking wet cushion.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

·
That Drunk Guy
257 Posts
I have 4" open cell foam cushions in my cockpit covered with some kind of water-proof sunbrella. They are awesome. I leave them out in the rain, no prob. Dont let anyone dissuade you from open cell foam if that is what you want. Unfortunately I don't know of a supplier to pass on to you. Keep looking...they're out there somewhere. :)

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Sailrite has foam and everything else you will need

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Can't seem to make a decision in foam for new cockpit cushions. Thinking 2" but can't figure out firmness. I want something that won't bottom out under my 220 but won't feel like the real hard ones I see on some boats. Can anyone advise? Looking at 2" dry fast from foam factory at this point...
Be aware that all cushion foam eventually gets 'softer' over time. So therefore you should probably choose your foam a bit 'firmer' than your desired 'springiness'.

To help increase firmness and stability, you can glue (contact cement) polyester 'batting' on top of the cushion foam. This will promote the 'whole' top surface of the foam to resist compression when you sit or lay on it; and, the firmness/softness will remain more stable over time.

For cushion foam, Id recommend to visit with a cushion foam supplier to select and evaluate the various 'weights' (stiffness) of foam. They can also precision cut the foam to your desired shape with a special 'band saw' - no ragged edges

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hmmm... maybe I was unclear. We are making our own cushions. Wife is doing all the sewing. I just want to know what kind of foam to order. Is there anyone here who has made their own and would recommend a foam that would hit somewhere between patio cushions which collapse easily and foam that would feel more like sitting on the fiberglass? Thanks. I do not need to know what kind of cushions people have been able to purchase. Just looking for pointers on the foam...
Rbyham... Go to JoAnn fabric stores... you will find all you need, foam material of different densities, sunbrella or similar fabric, foam glues, etc... all I needed to recover my cushions and make all sorts of winch covers, outboard cover, sail covers, curtains, etc... it would also help to get a sail making machine to sew the heavier fabrics... but it doesn't have to cost you $900-1200 for a sewing machine... I sewed all the fabric with a 'White' sewing machine and it cost me $70 for the machine and it's an industrial quality machine (metal gears- no plastic gears at all)!

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Sailrite has dry fast open cell foam that is designed to drain and dry quickly. Likely available from other suppliers for use in lawn cushions.

Foam Dry Fast Open Cell 2" x 48" x 72"

They also sell closed cell foam.
There are three types of foam.

Open - like a sponge, it absolutely Rgs water and is terrible for outdoor cushions
Closed - the normal hard crap boat cushions are made of. It won't absorbe water, but isn't comfortable
Reticulated foam - of quick dry foams. It is actually closed cell foam that is then blown up (seriously the bubbles are hydrogen and they light it on fire)

The advantage of reticulated foam is that water literly pours thru it. You can put a hose on it and watch the water stream flow thru. It is more expensive than the other types, but lasts very well, and never absorbs water. My recomendation has always been for reticulated foam, and just close your eyes while paying for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts