SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I would like to get my husband a folding fishing rod for Christmas. I guess I need to look at both freshwater and saltwater poles because we'll be doing both.

If you have one, or the other, could you give me your thoughts of owning a folding fishing rod vs just storing a regular one?

Thnx!! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Most f your super compacts are going to be found by googling backpack rods. They come in 4 or 5 pieces and take up zero space, unfortunately they are mostly geared towards fresh water and may not be appropriate for the saltwater fish he may be going after...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx azguy - I'll look up backpack rods. I had typed in folding and got nothing. Haha

He does need it for a freshwater fishing trip in January. So I'll look at those. Maybe I'll be lucky and run into one for saltwater, too.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I store two "medium heavy" two-piece 7 foot rods in my aft cockpit locker (as well as a bunch of other boaty stuff). I fish for catfish at the dock and troll for walleye at the western end of Lake Erie. All the backpack rods I've seen that come in five pieces are all ultra-lites, and not really capable of anything other than small-ish fish. I once hooked into a 30-some inch catfish in a river with my ultra-light rod, and while I landed that bad boy, it tore my reel up to the point that it was subsequently unusable. Totally worth it tho.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Go to Cabelas website and look up Bigwater Telescopic Rods, they have a few, there are other brands online if you type in "collapsible saltwater rod.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx bshock - I bet that was worth it!!

CatMan22 - found one on Cabela's, thanks for your help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts