SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those less expensive rigging knives that has a blade, shackle key and marlinspike. I use it mostly for the marlinspike, but the locking mechanism for the spike is less than satisfactory.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good folding rigging knife/marlinspike where the spike stays put when it's out?

fyi, my knife is the West Marine special. The blade and key are fine: its just the spike's folding lock that stinks.

Thanks.

·
Swab
825 Posts
I have had a Camillus rigger's knife for decades. Sturdy, positive lock on the marlinespike and good steel in the blade. Good for general deck work. Used to be USN issue but I don't think they are made anymore. Do not get the one from Camillus with the bamboo scales and black finish on the steel. Although both the blade and the spike lock, it is not as sturdy or well made as the one in the picture. If I am setting out to work with rope, for splicing up dock lines etc. I use a real marlinespike and separate sheath knife.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
that one looks exactly like the Buck riggers knife that has been aboard for 30 years. the spike lock is great but it doesn't have a blade lock. it's great and i use it almost every day but when it comes to really grunty jobs like stubborn anchor shackles, a good one-piece spike is my choice.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Interesting that you just posted this...

I have been in conversations with a semi-custom knife maker in Canada for almost two years to get exactly the knife I want. And as of about 6pm I finally got to order it!

It is based on a design by Brion Toss with the addition of a marlin spike (Toss carries a stand alone spike), and the handle is intended to also be used as a shackle key, as well as the shackle key in the spike. Combined with a ceramic blade designed to cut Dyneema and other high tech lines, this really should be an incredible knife.

I was intending to wait until I had it in hand to raise it, but I just can't pass up this oportunity to brag.

The one trade-off was that the blade was only available in black (instead of the white I wanted), but hopefully if enough people are interested a production run in white can be arranged. The blades can even be replaced eventually, so if a white blade ever happens making the switch shouldn't be that bad of an afternoon.

I should note that I am making nothing on this deal, not even a free knife. And I will be posting a real review of the knife after I get it, and then updating it from time to time.

Riggers with Marlin Spike | Ceramic Knife.org

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.