SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 33' with a folding prop that was getting past its prime. When I went to sell the boat I replaced with a fixed prop and kept the folding prop. It is taking up space on my workbench so I'm wondering, is it worth refurbishing and selling the prop, or worth almost as much (without the refurb $$) to sell as scrap metal?

·
Marine: Educator,Surveyor
83 Posts
Your old folding prop

I had a 33' with a folding prop that was getting past its prime. When I went to sell the boat I replaced with a fixed prop and kept the folding prop. It is taking up space on my workbench so I'm wondering, is it worth refurbishing and selling the prop, or worth almost as much (without the refurb $$) to sell as scrap metal?
Not knowing what brand or shaft dia it fits on I sent you a PM... call me.
I can give it a good home.

John

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
It was just posted recently that PYI sells used maxprops. Send it back to the manufacturer and see what they say about cost to refurb it.

You could refurb and then e-bay it

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Phhft. I got a two-blade folding Gori from a pal at the club for $350 (worth about $1,100 new, I understand). I cleaned it up with metal polish and Scotchbrite pads, replaced one Allen screw, changed the thread lock to "blue" and put a slightly larger "donut" zinc on the shaft.

That was five years ago. Best thing I ever did for my sailing and for my Atomic 4, which is happier running at slightly higher RPM. The only drawback is the loss of the ability to do hull speed in flat water, which I never used anyway because the engine gets so damn loud and my fuel economy goes in the toilet.

A prop that hasn't been badly nicked or bent can be fixed in most cases.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
Phhft. I got a two-blade folding Gori from a pal at the club for $350 (worth about $1,100 new, I understand). I cleaned it up with metal polish and Scotchbrite pads, replaced one Allen screw, changed the thread lock to "blue" and put a slightly larger "donut" zinc on the shaft.

That was five years ago. Best thing I ever did for my sailing and for my Atomic 4, which is happier running at slightly higher RPM. The only drawback is the loss of the ability to do hull speed in flat water, which I never used anyway because the engine gets so damn loud and my fuel economy goes in the toilet.
A prop that hasn't been badly nicked or bent can be fixed in most cases.

Wont that soften the joker valve. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts