SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I got back to my boat after leaving her in the tropics for year and noticed some crevice corrosion on the base plate of what must be the original Schaefer footblocks from 1986. These are the blocks on the cockpit coaming that turn the genoa sheet close to 180 and direct it to the primary winches. Wondering what footblocks people have used to replace these.

Thanks in advance.

grant
s/v Viandante
Majuro, Marshal Islands

·
s/v Pelagic
74 Posts
We upgraded all our blocks, traveller and vang to Garhauer. The FB-03 SB is the foot block we chose. If you have teak on the cockpit coaming you'll need longer bolts that what is supplied.

BTW congratulations on getting to the South Pacific. We know your boat from Mazatlan where we kept our boat for some years.

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome and thank you. How do those foot blocks look up there? They are not quite as sexy as the equivalent schaefer but at 1/4 the price they are looking quite good to me. I was thinking about going with the garhauer but one size bigger i.e 8" x 3 3/4" footprint. I screw up allot and need a bit more safety margin than your average sailor....

I remember seeing your boat and talking to you in Mazatlan when I first bought Viandante. At that point I did not know crap about boats but I did know PSC 37s were bomber. Did you happen to know the previous owner of Viandante?

grant
s/v Viandante
Majuro, Marshal Islands

·
s/v Pelagic
74 Posts
Grant,

Here is a pic of the Garhauer foot block on our C37.
No, we didn't know the previous owner of Viandante.
All we heard was that he was a retired fire fighter from SoCal.

John
s/v Pelagic
Lake Union, Seattle

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi everyone. I got back to my boat after leaving her in the tropics for year and noticed some crevice corrosion on the base plate of what must be the original Schaefer footblocks from 1986. These are the blocks on the cockpit coaming that turn the genoa sheet close to 180 and direct it to the primary winches. Wondering what footblocks people have used to replace these.
I had the bronze bearing in my port genoa turning block shatter. I called Schaefer, described it to the lady on the phone, and she told me that it was obsolete. She went on to pull the original drawing then told me that if I would send it back, they would repair it. I ended up using the information she gave me to cut down a stock bronze bearing and repair the block myself.

A few years ago after another phone call, I sent a failed block back to Schaefer which they repaired and returned for a modest charge.

You might give them a call. You never know. It might save you drilling new holes in a highly stressed spot on the boat.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
s/v Pelagic
74 Posts
Bill,

Good for you in repairing your Schaefer blocks. I too prefer a repair to throwing something out. Good to know Schaefer will help out with repairs.

However, in our case we were looking for a reduction in friction. The Admiral was having a hard time cranking in various lines, in particular during reefing and tacking. Hence our decision to go with Garhauer for everything. They did a great job of matching the holes and arc of the traveller and making the boom and mast fittings for a rigid vang. I also added some small Harken Series 40 blocks on the mainsail at the reefing points which go down to Garhauer turning blocks on the boom. All the Garhauer gear has either ball or roller bearings so we got rid of a lot of friction. The Admiral was pleased.

BTW, one of the Garhauer brothers runs their machine shop. We needed some custom parts for our chainplate replacement project and they did a fine job machining the parts for us.

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl (#22)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the responses everyone. Schaefer was pretty great with me several years ago when I rebuilt these same foot-blocks. Unfortunately the issue now is that the base plate of the block looks to have crevice corrosion. I was nearly sold on the garhauer foot-blocks but I ended up finding a set of new Schaefer 37-45s for a really good deal on ebay. They are really shiny! I will try to post a photo when I eventually get them bolted down.

Grant Gardner
s/v Viandante
Majuro, Marshal Islands

1 - 8 of 8 Posts