SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of cruisers seem to want to bake their own bread, which is something I just don't do. It's not that I cannot do it - I'm just too lazy anymore.

While in the Florida Keys last winter, I got to see a Sun Oven up close and personal. That thing produced an incredible amount of heat from the sun's rays, and baked a loaf of excellent tasting bread, which was delivered to me by the very attractive young lady that baked it. I lathered it up with Garlic Butter, and Oh My!

The oven is not cheap, so unless you really need to conserve propane, I would stick to buying bread from the grocery store. All American Sun Oven - The Original Solar Oven and Solar Cooker - BuyGreen.com

\

Gary :cool:

·
bell ringer
5,038 Posts
wouldn't be easier and less expensive to just bake the bread in the boats' oven?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Neat! I might have to make one of them if I decide to become a full-time live-aboard.

Gary :cool:
I'm away from my home and my tools but I plan to make the barrel cooker... not painted with reflective paint but with polished stainless steel liner as the reflector... I can't wait and will post photos throughout the construction so others can make theirs. Also make it portable to be carried in a backpack type bag.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
wouldn't be easier and less expensive to just bake the bread in the boats' oven?
Well it uses propane and on Key West will heat up the boat a lot. I will say if you bake much you can get much better results wit a stone or heavy unglazed tiles on the oven racks.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
My wife just made her first pressure-cooker bread loaf. Turned out surprisingly well. If you're worried about fuel usage, and over-heating the cabin, this would be another option.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Way, WAY, WAY back (Early 1970s) I lived in Hawaii. I had a Chevy Vega, remember the BIG back window slanted at about 45 degrees?

I made a simple aluminum box about 8 inches by 12 to 15 inches and painted it black. I then would park the Vega (at work) with the back pointing toward the sun in the AM. I put a TV dinner (or the like) in the box, closed the lid and set it on another shinny piece of aluminum. By lunch, my meal was so hot I could hardly touch it!

We spent a few years living aboard with no oven. Jill would often make not only bread, but cakes and other types of baked goods in our oven. We actually did a pressure cooker video after cruising with out pressure cooker for a number of years.

In the HOT summers in the Sea of Cortez, the heat inside the boat was kept down with the use of the PC.

If you go to our "Guenevere's Galley" WEB page Pressure cooker page you can see a number of the recipes we use aboard, including the baking bread one.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts