SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a old force 10 kero burner heater and have a question .
Am bench testing the unit in the workshop and I'm not sure if the following is normal. Tank pressurized , turned burner valve on to bring kero up to burner, turned it off when fluid came out. Not having any alcohol ( other than the beer I had at the shop) I decided to preheat the burner with a propane torch.
What's happening is what I'm not sure of, as I statrd to apply heat kero startedto flow out of the nozzle, so I stopped , blew it off with air to dry burner and started again. Kero again stated to flow out of nozzle( not free flowing but
Enough to make me wonder if it's just boiling up and out, or is it leaking as it gets warm. I didn't investigate further than that as I ran out of time.
Any thoughts( I know there are other better heating option out there , just looking for specific info for my question). It holds pressure and doesn't weep fluid when sitting cold.........normal?time for a new burner?( a&h camp stoves is reproducing the burners)

·
19,488 Posts
If you had opened the valve without actually lighting the burner then I suspect the burner cavity was flooded and as you heated it the liquid kero expanded and bubbled out. If the tank holds pressure when you closed the burner the valve, at least, should be OK.

And while you may not want to hear this, not only is this a rather smelly, inefficient heater, for me it's pretty close to outright dangerous. IMO it's not worth cutting a hole in the cabin top and will ultimately devalue your boat.

Reactions: mitiempo

·
Registered
728 Posts
For a couple of years I used the kerosene heater on the Force 10 before converting it to propane. I would preheat the burner and after less than a minute would open the valve allowing the pressurized kerosene to ignite. Never did experience any flow out of the valve until opening it. The best thing I did was to get rid of the kerosene burner and replaced it with a propane burner requiring no pre heating and no smell like the kerosene had. At the time Force 10 sold a conversion kit.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Photo would help. if it's the wick type this would not apply. when the burner heats it heats the fuel to vaporize it it would also make fuel in the line heat up expand and try vaporize.. but I'm just guessing since I've not seen the burner.

Found this;Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater Diesel/Kerosene Model Owners Manual

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Safe operation of these units is an art form PaiN stakenly developed over long periods of practice by a past generation of hardy sailors. Sure don't make them like they used to. Butane torch is helpful and a 20 lb bottle of propane on the quarter is so much easier.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Picked up a old force 10 kero burner heater and have a question .
Am bench testing the unit in the workshop and I'm not sure if the following is normal. Tank pressurized , turned burner valve on to bring kero up to burner, turned it off when fluid came out. Not having any alcohol ( other than the beer I had at the shop) I decided to preheat the burner with a propane torch.
What's happening is what I'm not sure of, as I statrd to apply heat kero startedto flow out of the nozzle, so I stopped , blew it off with air to dry burner and started again. Kero again stated to flow out of nozzle( not free flowing but
Enough to make me wonder if it's just boiling up and out, or is it leaking as it gets warm. I didn't investigate further than that as I ran out of time.
Any thoughts( I know there are other better heating option out there , just looking for specific info for my question). It holds pressure and doesn't weep fluid when sitting cold.........normal?time for a new burner?( a&h camp stoves is reproducing the burners)
Allow me to differ from the nay-sayers. Kerosene is the classic fuel on board ships for a long time for a reason, and is much safer than any gas (propane, butane) that is heavier than air. LNG is fine but has other issues.

Anyway, I don't have this heater but I have a kerosene stove. It is normal that the heating of the burner warms up the fuel which then flows into the burner; this allows you to use it without having to pump again while it is running (except when the tank is nearly empty; if the flame goes low and you have to pump while the burner is on, you know that it is time to add kero to the tank). However, the valve should prohibit the fuel to flow into the burner while it is closed. So it sounds like something is leaking in the valve. Just open it up (the manual that Denise found shows you all its parts, there are very few of them) and clean it. Alternatively, you may have grossly overfilled the tank but I think it is much more likely that there is a little piece of schmutz somewhere in the valve.

It will probably take a grand total of 10 minutes and you will have a safely burning heater (non-smelly, too).

BTW, one of the great advantages of this heater, compared to any other that I know of is that it requires a very small flue, 1", while every other heater I know needs 3" or more. I share Faster's hesitation of cutting holes in decks but you may be able to use an existing orifice (Dorade vent??) for this heater.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I certainly wasn't naysaying the units themselves. I've used kerosene pressure and drip feed stoves since 1967. Just takes a few years of effort to cover all the eccentricies. But well worth it for the comfort they give .Thane had a carburetor/drip galley range, a pressure 2burner, and a wood fireplace .There was room for the versatility and cutting a few deck irons worth the comfort.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
What fuel do you use for cooking that may be a deciding factor but conversion is a good way to go in the long run especially if you cook with propane already Force 10 - Cozy Cabin Heater - LPG here's the conversion burner for either a bulk tank or conversion to use the little disposable cannisters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a bit of time today( last until thanksgiving is over). I let it sit pressurized for a hour and it did seep out of the nozzle. I fab'd up a tool to unscrew the nozzle(jet) removed the rack and it is indeed carboned up pretty good inside.
We have a spin jet hot tank to clean things at work, I'll let everything soak in it ,
Then everything should be clean...if not there's a ultrasonic cleaner as well....no propane on our boat( and no decent spot to do a proper install, pressure alcohol stove in the galley, so kero heat is my method for now( although a propane conversion for the stove with a one pound tank would be doable ...if this doesn't pan out

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Had one once that no way could it hold pressure without oozing. Had to release tank vent when off. new needles and seats fixed it but hard to find mid ocean.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Had a bit of time today( last until thanksgiving is over). I let it sit pressurized for a hour and it did seep out of the nozzle. I fab'd up a tool to unscrew the nozzle(jet) removed the rack and it is indeed carboned up pretty good inside.
We have a spin jet hot tank to clean things at work, I'll let everything soak in it ,
Then everything should be clean...if not there's a ultrasonic cleaner as well....no propane on our boat( and no decent spot to do a proper install, pressure alcohol stove in the galley, so kero heat is my method for now( although a propane conversion for the stove with a one pound tank would be doable ...if this doesn't pan out
Looks like you are making progress.

Be warned that the one pound propane tanks are notorious for leaking. They have an ultra-cheap valve (what do you expect from a tank that costs a dollar fifty, including the propane :rolleyes:) and they fail regularly. I actually use them for my BBQ (on the rail) but they are not allowed into the cabin or a locker, they sit in a pipe outside the boat. After some time, every single one of them leaked.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have two of these heaters, one on each boat, plus cookers. My guess is that you are just bubbling out a wee bit from the chamber. I'd give it a bench test and if it works ok, then good.

My Wife once wrecked a burner with a propane torch, over heating it. German.

We don't seem to mind the small hero smell, and until you get the hang of it you may get the occasional flare. Not to worry.

Base Camp has spare parts.

base-camp.co.uk

As does sparemarine

Sparesmarine.co.uk

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Looks like you are making progress.

Be warned that the one pound propane tanks are notorious for leaking. They have an ultra-cheap valve (what do you expect from a tank that costs a dollar fifty, including the propane :rolleyes:) and they fail regularly. I actually use them for my BBQ (on the rail) but they are not allowed into the cabin or a locker, they sit in a pipe outside the boat. After some time, every single one of them leaked.
Two things where are you getting them for a buck and a half they are almost 3 bucks at Walmart these days and the valves are not designed for multiple connect and disconnect I have never had one leak I put it on the heater or stove and not come off it until I need to change tanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I also had one of those heaters for a long time. I also had a Kero stove, so both run on the same line with a T.
If you don't have one, install a pressure gauge on the tank to ensure you pressurize it to 30lbs. With a gauge it is easier to see if needs a few pumps.
The heater produces good heat but its localized so I installed a small fan above it to "spread" the warm air.
They are good units and sure beats having to run long propane lines with its risks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cleaned everything, reassembled and all is good, no leaks , ran the burner for
Over two hours in the shop and it held a steady setting, ordered a few spares.....
All is good! Not a whole lotta moving parts on these critters, not to bad to deal with once you get the design of it.....

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Over two hours in the shop and it held a steady setting, ordered a few spares.....
All is good! Not a whole lotta moving parts on these critters, not to bad to deal with once you get the design of it.....

Good! I was looking and you can actually buy a new burner and retrofit it. Most of the problems start when the fuel tuns into black substance on and around the needle valve.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Congratulations!

Yes, these are simple, sturdy and safe designs.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Great news glad its working great and glad you let us all know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts