SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When clearing customs in foreign ports, would a US warrant cause any issue? Particularly the bahamas. If your response is anything like involving taking care of it before hand or something not cnstructive, please don't respond.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
The answer is no unless the offence on the warrant is an extraditable one. In that case the answer is maybe.

Essentially the State issuing the warrant would have to be actively pursuing you and would have to alert the Bahamian authorities. From then on lawyers get involved.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
When clearing customs in foreign ports, would a US warrant cause any issue? Particularly the bahamas. If your response is anything like involving taking care of it before hand or something not cnstructive, please don't respond.
It depends.

First I am not a lawyer or law enforcement officer.

I know that between Canada and the US convictions and warrants can cause US citizens to be turned away from Canada.

In the Bahamas I'm less sure. I have heard of people being turned away (and reported to US officials) with federal warrants. I have no personal knowledge.

That's all I know.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Every place I have cleared into in the last several years has a machine that they insert our US passports (I do not know about other countries) into. It is connected to a data base which could possibly pull up that sort of information, but I do not know for sure. At any rate, you really do not want to chance ending up in a jail or prison in some 3rd world country, even the Bahamas, awaiting extradition. Get a Conch Republic passport from Key West. It is supposed to work in the Bahamas and much of the Caribbean (Maybe?).

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't have any knowledge about warrants and foreign ports, but I do have to say I am growing incredibly curious about your story. A year ago you posted that you were looking for passage out of the U.S. to absolutely anywhere. Six months ago you posted asking how often you would run into law enforcement. And now you want to know if a warrant will cause trouble in foreign ports. I assume this is either the world's slowest run from the law, or an attempt to plan the perfect crime :)

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I don't have any knowledge about warrants and foreign ports, but I do have to say I am growing incredibly curious about your story. A year ago you posted that you were looking for passage out of the U.S. to absolutely anywhere. Six months ago you posted asking how often you would run into law enforcement. And now you want to know if a warrant will cause trouble in foreign ports. I assume this is either the world's slowest run from the law, or an attempt to plan the perfect crime :)
this could make a good movie...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Hmmm....It seems to me that if you have a warrant out for your arrest, posting your intention to flee the country on a forum in which you use your name, have a pic of yourself as your avatars, and display the state you live in probably isn't the wisest idea.

I'm not passing judgement, I'm just sayin'!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
you have to be a little more clear than "just an arrest warrant"

many people think of it that way but there are very different types of "arrest warrant"

if it is what is called a bench warrant. that means they are not actively looking for you, probably a lower crime, not extraditable someitmes not even counties in the same state will find this one. basically if thye stop you in the warranting county you will get taken in.

if you have an active "arrest warrant" as in you did an actual crime, I personally would not be going into any gov't offices where the US has extradition. that's just me though.
if it's child support, I believe that one is an active warrant but not sure they would extradite from another country, however I would not put it passed them. WI will go after child support warrants quite actively.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
if he's planning the perfect crime I think I may choose a slightly faster get away vehicle than a sailboat. LOL

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
this could make a good movie...
One would indeed need many a bikini clad lovely were this to be a movie about "the world's slowest run from the law".

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
You know, there are a lot of DEA and US Customs agents who are assigned to the Bahamas who work pretty closely work the Bahamian Police.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Mon, what de worst can happen?

Free room, free board, free flight home.

Local warrant for failing to pay child support? Won't show up at the border. Didn't pay your speeding ticket in Ohio and skipped bail? Won't show up at the border.

Been a little badder boy?

Free room, free board, free flight home. These are all good things!

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
A year ago you posted that you were looking for passage out of the U.S. to absolutely anywhere. Six months ago you posted asking how often you would run into law enforcement. And now you want to know if a warrant will cause trouble in foreign ports. I assume this is either the world's slowest run from the law, or an attempt to plan the perfect crime :)
I'll think the sleazy petty criminal running away from his responsibilities.

and the OPs
If your response is anything like involving taking care of it before hand or something not cnstructive, please don't respond.
Thats a very good reason to respond and say that we shouldn't give this guy any information. I am on the side of the good guys, the White Hats, the non-drug mob, the non-criminals, the non-scum. So it would be hypocrisy for us to help out someone, and, leave that information on an open forum.

Hope you get arrested :)

Mark

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Makes me wonder if posting information that helps the OP could be consider aiding and abetting a person who is fleeing from prosecution.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.