SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Forespar Marelon Vented Loops / Anti Siphon Valves are rated to 176 degrees F. I am sick to death of the twice monthly maintenance on my Groco valves and would like another option.
Obviously, when all is operating correctly, the raw water cooling water doesn't get all that hot, but should something go wrong, do you think it could surpass 176 degrees?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I have been reading good things about Scott Pump Co anti siphon loops... I'll be stopping by their place on the way to the Miami boat show in Feb. Hoping my original Tai brass loops will accept the Scott vents, that way I don't need to buy new loops.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
The Forespar Marelon Vented Loops / Anti Siphon Valves are rated to 176 degrees F. I am sick to death of the twice monthly maintenance on my Groco valves and would like another option.
Obviously, when all is operating correctly, the raw water cooling water doesn't get all that hot, but should something go wrong, do you think it could surpass 176 degrees?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If the ocean gets to 176F we have bigger issues.....;) Properly installed a siphon break for an engine or genset is between the raw water pump outlet and HX inlet not after the HX..

That said many install them after the HX, and they work, but they really should be between pump and HX which means they are at sea water temp.....

I use only Scot Pump siphon breaks for engine raw water circuits.

·
Master Mariner
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all very much for your input. I shall order a couple of the Scot Pump siphon breaks, asap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the ocean gets to 176F we have bigger issues.....;) Properly installed a siphon break for an engine or genset is between the raw water pump outlet and HX inlet not after the HX..

That said many install them after the HX, and they work, but they really should be between pump and HX which means they are at sea water temp.....
Just combing through posts on vented loops, and was wondering if you could explain why the siphon break should be between the raw water pump and the HX? Wouldn't you want the siphon break to be in the exhaust so the raw water would not run back and flood the head?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.