SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a fairly wild and gusty day on the bay (May 11) Mainsail with one reef in/ genoa furled with sheets adjusted to draw the foot and allow spill above....two words came in with me: Forestay Sag....(too much) how do You work with your rig to balance this issue?
(I know my rig needs tuning And...I need a new Headsail)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Do you have an adjustable backstay? If so, tighten it right up (remember to release it before furling to head in). A partially furled sail is going to have a rubbish shape pretty much whatever you do though.

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have an adjustable backstay? If so, tighten it right up (remember to release it before furling to head in). A partially furled sail is going to have a rubbish shape pretty much whatever you do though.
Right. Do not have an adjuster on my split backstay yet but have picked one to go in this year. Realize furled sail unlikely to have much in shape so am eagerly awaitng a heavier 110 But Suspect the forestay is pretty slack as is. Have been reading up on the subject but hoping to benefit. From others experience with issue. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few thing come to mind How big is you boat ? and what type of furler do you have ?are you fractional rig or mast head ?
On my boat 24 ft TS i need to tighten my back stay before i furl ,if your foil has to much bow it will be to hard to furl (my furler is a Schaefer )
if you don't have an adjustable back stay you front stay should be tight from the start . Having your rig tuned would be your best bet i think
best of luck and happy sailing
Wally

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
get the rig tuned FIRST if you still have too much slack in forestay and adjusting back stay doesnt do much to rake or bend mast or tighten up forestay then you need to cut or readjust forestay...

but tune first, if not attainable you need to start messing with things

plus its a good way to physically inspect yuor forestay since the issue with furlers is you rarely know the REAL condition of the forestay since its hidden

Reactions: oysterman23

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all

Masthead rig. Schaefer Snap furl .
On further study the p.o. seem not to have been willing to loosen furling drum to make stay adj. The aft (split) stay is not quite bottomed out. Time for a fresh start me thinks. I briefly checked the mast rake with a sash weight in bucket of water. So like said its time to ease up and start fresh. Will also add split stay tensioner for additional flexibility of rig. Thank to all for your ideas.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
A final word of caution: Aside from not being able to point as well as you otherwise might, too much forestay sag can damage your furling track by over-stressing (twisting) the joints every time you furl the sail..

..so it's well worth following Christian's rig-tuning advice sooner rather than later.

No need to ask me how I know. ;)

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Having sag in the foil also makes it much more difficult to roll the sail. It's a balancing act to get good tension on the cap and lower shrouds, proper rake on the mast while keeping it straight and have adequate tension on the fore/aft stays. When I first started messing around with rigging adjustment, it became apparent that my headstay was too long. I replaced it and shortened it by about 1 1/2". There is no turnbuckle or any way to adjust it inside the roller. It made a very big difference. The sail shape was better, the boat pointed better, and the furler worked better. When the rigging is out of whack, it's almost impossible to get the mainsail to set right.

Reactions: oysterman23

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have the snap furl .I have found if you over tighten your halyard you can get a small kink in the foil,as it is plastic it can distort at the head ,also watch for halyard wrap .If you stay is sagging this could be an issue . I installed my own and had to have the stay shorted ,great furler and has given me no trouble since hope this helps
happy sailing
Wally

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The real question that I have not seen yet is"Do you trailer?". If you do, forget "tuning" as most know it. Certainly, give a tug and twist a turnbuckle, here and there, but any tuning will be lost at the north end of the ramp and end of the trip. Also, if you trailer, consider a Johnson lever. Fit it into you stay (backstay was best for us) then tune the rig. Have a great sail then when you step, throw the lever and it gives several inches of slack. Stepping is a breeze and you don't mess with any adjustments that you made in the morning. We step our 28 foot mast in about 5 minutes, not counting unlashing from the boat.

Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just jumped on the net to look at a Morgan 24.
It would be easier to fit an adjustable back stay .I know that's what i would do .
Cheep and easy to do ,look them up on the net .
Have fun
Wally

1 - 12 of 12 Posts