SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Closet Powerboater
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I have looked at another boat with the malice of forethought to consider purchasing it." I have been tempted...

Damn! I started looking at boats again. Stupid Yachtworld. Stupid temptation. I feel like I have cheated on my girl. :(

Of course, once you break the seal on looking at boats, it's really hard to go back. So, we might not be going back, we may be looking forward to a new boat. What I found with my voyering on yachtworld was that the boat market is so depressed compared to when I bought, that it might actually be cheaper for us to sell our boat at a modest loss and buy a boat with all the equipment and upgrades that I had been planning on doing over the next few years, than to do them myself. Also, since our baby turned into a toddler, some new realities about our boating style and requirements have changed for a while.

So, you may see my boat go up for sale shortly and hopefully the purchase of something new.

I've been absent from Sailnet for a while as I was overly busy with switching jobs. Now I'm in a much better work situation and the break y'all have had from my posting is OVER! HA! :D

MedSailor

Anyone know a good buyer's boat broker in the SF Bay area?

Registered
Was wonder where this SOB was hiding.......cheater, liar, snake.......what is your wife going to say about this........oh, she approves.....oh dear, what about the kiddo's, bambino's?!?!?! oh, they approve? oh man, cheated on the miss BOAT! oh man......oh boy, oh dear oh me oh my!.......

Not sure what to say now.......

marty

Closet Powerboater
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We like a lot of things about our current boat, but there are some things we'd change.

1. No bowsprit. I thought I'd love it, but really I hate it. It makes rig tuning a nightmare and it's vulerable when docking.

2. Docking. The boat should be easier to dock. Which shouldn't be hard, because an air craft carrier is easier to dock.

3. Pilothouse. This is really the big thing. If we had a pilothouse and good heating, our saililng season with little toddlers that get cold (and parents too!) would be 3x as long.

4. Gotta be able to go across an ocean.

5. Divided rig, preferably a ketch.

6. Under 50ft and under 35000lbs. As small as possible and still fitting the bill.

7. Good berths for 2 kids and 2 adults.

8. Most of the gear on the offshore want list should already be installed. Now that I have a toddler, I no longer have any time....

MedSailor

Closet Powerboater
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK enough already ! What are we getting ? By the way how much for CT ? Not that I'm looking Patricia A !
Not sure. I need to talk with some boat brokers and get a good sense of what she's worth. I was thinking of listing her for 50K. She might fetch near that with the aluminum masts, recently re-done rigging with furler, really nicely re-done deck (teak decks removed) etc etc.

I also should have thought this through before spending nearly 7K in the yard last year as well.... :rolleyes:

MedSailor

Closet Powerboater
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you considered a full cockpit enclosure rather than a pilothouse?
Good question. I have looked at some center cockpit boats with partially rigid and partial canvas enclosures, and that could work. We could also fork over for putting a full enclosure on my current boat, but then again we end up with that costing nearly 10/k to do it well, and another 5K for the SSB, another few K for the windlass, another few K for the cockpit renovations we want to do, another few K for the additional tankage and water maker we want to add.....

Pretty soon, even with me continuing to do the labor myself (which I don't seem to have time for anymore) it's cheaper to buy a boat that someone else has already added all this stuff to.

Or, maybe that's just the justification. ;) I've always said there is nothing logical about buying boats. Buying a boat, ANY BOAT, is a decision that firmly grounded in insanity. :D

MedSailor

Banned
Good question. I have looked at some center cockpit boats with partially rigid and partial canvas enclosures, and that could work. We could also fork over for putting a full enclosure on my current boat, but then again we end up with that costing nearly 10/k to do it well, and another 5K for the SSB, another few K for the windlass, another few K for the cockpit renovations we want to do, another few K for the additional tankage and water maker we want to add.....

Pretty soon, even with me continuing to do the labor myself (which I don't seem to have time for anymore) it's cheaper to buy a boat that someone else has already added all this stuff to.

Or, maybe that's just the justification. ;) I've always said there is nothing logical about buying boats. Buying a boat, ANY BOAT, is a decision that firmly grounded in insanity. :D

MedSailor
I'm one of those guys that would rather have a pilot house than the temporary enclosure thing. Just cleaner.

In any case, congrats on your infidelity Med. Just make sure you don't take the old girl out of the slip now that she knows. You might just find a bunny in your pot:

(Who can name the reference?)

Old enough to know better
Yes, be careful, I stopped off at a car dealership to look at a new car. My car on the way home blew a serpentine belt and some pulleys to the tune of $650 on the way home. A boat will do it too and it will cost more! So don't look unless you really intend to buy, because she will never trust you again.

Anyone want to buy a low mileage BMW 530i? Oh and to add insult to injury the mechanic backed a truck into the front of my car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts