SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Forgot my zinc!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  paul323 
#1 ·
Just found my olive zinc in a drawer ! Meaning that Diver forgot to install it on shaft last time we cleaned the hull
It's now winter in Boston , boat is in the water at the marina with electricity plugged

I believe that I could just attach the zinc to a metal wire and throw in the water
And attached to what ? On the engine ? The shaft after the transmission ?

Thanks for your help

#6 ·
You're trying to protect the prop, so you need to be in direct electrical contact with it. Clamping to the exposed shaft in front of the packing gland is probably best.

Routing wire all around the boat and over the side seems undesirable to me, but better than corrosion. I'm trying to think of something you could fashion to reach under your boat from the dock to temporarily attach a zinc.

I suppose a quick haul is solution too, but pricey.

#7 ·
Electrical connection might or might not be problem. It is mainly the ground wire of the electrical connection. If your ground wire is connected to the propeller directly or indirectly and somebody elses is also connected and if your prop is on the sacrifical side of the electrical potential equlibrium then you might be affected.

I generally refrain from connecting the ground line to anywhere on the boat except the outlets.

This does not mean that you don't have to use anodes. Anodes protect the underwater dissimilar metals as stainless shafts and bronze propellers to affect each other .

#8 ·
Connect the wire to the engine. If its on the shaft and you forget its there and decide to cycle the engine back and forth just to make sure its turning, wire on the shaft will be a disaster. I have seen these connected to the wire stays as these are bonded to everything else. Its only for a few months so it doesn't have to be perfect.

#9 ·
a. Plenty of good suggestions. Unless they have been disappearing fast, it doesn't need to be perfect.

b. I've always thought every cold water sailor should keep a wet suit or dry suit on-board. What you do if...
* Crab line snags on rudder or prop.
* MOB needs in-water help.
* Need a quick scrub and no diver is handy.
* Dropped something at the dock.

Just seems like a good tool and safety item, to me. More versatile than many so-called essentials.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone !

I am going for the metal wire ( plastic coated) attached to the shaft just before the stuffing box Easy to do especially as there is a direct vent for the engine room AND I have all the parts available for free!

It's just a safety measure I probably have part of the zinc still doing its job underwater as I change every season But no way to check from the dock Water is too cloudy

As a safety I will have the keys attached to the wire !

Oh and yes I do carry a wetsuit on board but ...Boston water in January ?
The zinc on wire will avoid this until better days

Again thanks everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.