SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RJ
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some information on the Formosa 37 Pilot. I can't find anything on the 37. I was told the Endurance 37 was the same boat. I'm thinking of buying the Formosa (moving from a very tender Lancer 28 to make my spouce happy) for stability and comfort
Thanks

·
RJ
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, thats not the boat, its a pilot house cutter, not a ketch. The only online shots that are exactly like the Formosa 37 was the Endurance 37

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Show us the listing so we can give you better information. I you can't post a link spell it out and we'll help as much as we can.
Brian

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Interesting.

Peter Ibold designed a whole range of boats under the Endurance moniker, from 35 up to 60 odd feet. An awful lot of them were ferro or steel but there are a few fibreglass examples about. They were most popular in Europe , particularly in France and England which is where most of the ferro examples originated. The glass ones were, I believe, built mainly in Canada and/or the US. Most popular were the 35s and the 37s. It's in the back of my mind that they were actually the same boat with the 35 measurmenet coming from the hull, the 37 with bowsprit included. edit...if you look at the specs (last image) you'll see that the 37 is actually listed as being 35'loa. No designer is credited however.

By reputation they were good sea boats though they needed a bit of wind to get them moving. Definitely not a light air flyer.

At first I thought that maybe you had the William Garden designed Formosa 41 confused with the Ibold design. Garden may well have done a 37 as well but I cannot find a picture of one.

This is the Garden Formosa 41

This is an Endurance 37

and I also came across this which is dubbed a Formosa 37 and certainly looks more like the Endurance than the Garden design. The Endurance had more of a cutaway forefoot than the Garden.

Endurance 35 on the hard

Formosa 37

1 - 6 of 6 Posts