SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Say you have a choice - getting a standard depth sounder with NMEA (so you can get the data onto a nice big GPS screen, and not only on a standard depth instrument gauge) vs. forward looking sonar that shows depths forward of the boat, but does not network to anything. No other choices here.
What would you prefer? (I am kinda tossing a coin here)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I installed an Interphase Probe on my boat. It has since been discontinued but has been replaced with another model. They have an NMEA 0183 interface. I use an Raymarine 365 as a backup and for network data. The probe would perform this but due to my usage , I chose not to. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the fwd looking sonar over a networking sounder. Check out Interphase, you will not need to choose one over the other.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those Interphase things are really nice, especially the twinscope - but they are really expensive. I was thinking of Echopilot - it's a forward vertical only unit, with a small display, the size of standard instrument. It costs less than half of what Interphase units are.

BTW, what kind of a keel does your boat have? Do you have a side to side sonar too? If you do - where did you install the transducer?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Probe has a 120 arc fore and aft and a 35 degree arc off centerline each side .I originally installed it on a 47' cedar on oak ketch with a full cast iron keel. I now have it on a 50'ferrocement ketch with a full keel. The transducer is right where the forefoot transitions in to the keel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts