SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello sailors,

I'm in the market for some new and better foul weather gear. The new Musto HPX jacket is going for about $900 US, with bibs clocking in around $600. They also make a drysuit for about $1600, which doesn't seem like a terrible deal considering it's within $100 of the combined total of the other two pieces and seems likely to provide a higher level of comfort - with the drawback that in more moderate conditions it is a little less adaptable. Henri Lloyd, of which I've been a big fan for their inshore/coastal apparel makes an offshore jacket for a little less than the Musto, any experience here if it's up to the same task? Another consideration is the smock-type top, which again seems somewhat less adaptable in favorable conditions, but I'd think would have to be a lot more bomb-proof in adverse ones.

Also, I've been looking at Grundens, a manufacturer of gear for commercial offshore fishing. Their outerwear looks like it probably isn't up to the task of being on deck for the duration that sailing is likely to require, but some of their mid and base layer stuff looks pretty decent for the $$$. Anyone have any experience with them?

So, what's your take? What do you wear offshore and what do you love and hate about it? I'm particularly interested in hearing from you Pacific Northwest folks! I may be participating in the Pacific Cup this year, but whether or not that comes to pass, I will be competing in OYRA events out of the SF Bay and have sufficiant long-term cruising aspirations to justify this expense in my own mind's eye. Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Thanks,
hugh

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
For example i have the better west marine set and while its fine 90% of the time that other 10% really sucks

To me the question is will any two piece work as well as the dry-suit in that 10 % ?

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
If you've got the money to burn, buy the best foulies you can and don't look back. Second guessing your self (as in "could I have gotten something just as good for half the price?") could be a mite bit frustrating. Only you are going to be able to assess whether the extra $1K you spend on the Musto's as opposed to the West Marine (or other) set is really worth it.

As to that 10% that Tom pointed out: There are times when the weather just downright sucks, and you are forced to either take it on or admit defeat. There's a subtle difference between being uncomfortable and being at risk of becoming a hypothermia victim -- the challenge is to manage the risks, take preventative measures, and recognize when you have crossed the line from suck-ex to actual danger.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a West marine set and I find it works out well! You still have to watch what you do or how you wear it: it's not a space suit ! Just part of the equipment needed...Dale

·
Registered
620 Posts
Gil coastal has served me well over the years including sailing
winter here in northeast.
Grunden foulies was my brothers choice when he fished commercially
in Alaska...he was very pleased...but as stated not ideal for sailing.

As an aside there is a thread on cruisers forum talking up an
inexpensive no name set of foulies for $85.(from Overstocked.com) have gotten very good reviews. I have ordered a set to keep on board for unsuspecting crew and a back up to my back up.
We shall see? Will advise when I receive.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Gill has a lifetime guarantee that actually works. The zipper blew out on my jacket and I sent it back (no receipt or any proof at all of where I got it) and they fixed it. This after the equivalent from Musto blew out a zipper and I had to buy a new one.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Gill has a lifetime guarantee that actually works. The zipper blew out on my jacket and I sent it back (no receipt or any proof at all of where I got it) and they fixed it. This after the equivalent from Musto blew out a zipper and I had to buy a new one.
Okay, blowing out one zipper I could chalk up to manufacturer's defect. But two? dude, you just gotta admit, you are no longer a "medium."

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
The SN store (marine.com) sells the Gill gear - and has free shipping right now. You should check that out since they typically have great prices on stuff. For example, this off-shore jacket (http://shop.sailnet.com/foul-weather-gear-gill-offshore-cruising-c-181_1122_1961.html) is $60 less at SN than at West Marine. So definitely take a look.

Though these probably wouldn't work for you, I came across an insanely good deal on coastal foulies:

Nautical Foul Weather Set | Overstock.com

$85 for jacket AND bibs! I was a little skeptical at first, but figured I couldn't lose. I just got them in yesterday and they are actually very nice quality.

I sail mostly in the Gulf, so we don't have to deal with the bitter cold like you guys do. For the warmish kind of sailing, I don't think you could go wrong with these things.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have West Marine foulies already, they are not appropriate for extended offshore use in these latitudes.

Thanks for the insight so far, I was looking at the Helly Hansen onesie last night, I forgot to mention them in the OP. Anyone own a onesie, in any make? What do you love and hate about it?

Cheers,
h

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I've got Stormtech bibs and jacket. Seem to do the job and I got them half price which is always nice.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
hugh,
I would strongly suggest trying the gear on. Pull the color and hood up, see which jacket gives you a snug fit but good visibility, because those two wil give you much better warmth & dryness when you have the collar up alone or with the hood.
No way to tell that without actually trying them on.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Another vote for Henri Lloyd. My Ocean Racer bib and jacket are still going strong after 27 years.

Mind you I don't wear them much now in the Caribbean.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have the Gill OS2 which is one level down from the set that Smackdaddy recommended.
I am very happy with them, I only sail on the lakes but they are well made and in conditions where we are getting green water over the deck and some times over my head they keep me dry. My old set did not so I went out and bought these.
The OS1 would be even better. I think they would be worth a look.

Gary

·
3,506 Posts
I have had good service from my Helly Hansen foulies, a one piece and another just a jacket. I need to replace them as they are 17 years old and are starting to leak...luckily I'm not in a cold wet place anymore...but there will come a time...

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Yeah there is better stuff out there. For starters STOP looking at "boating" and "sailing" gear.

All but the most expensive foul weather gear will either breathable-ish but not waterproof (durable water repellent) or will be waterproof but NOT breathable (Grundings PVC). Gore-Tex breathable foulies can be had starting at $800:rolleyes:

Check our REI and other outdoor retailers and look at hiking, skiing, and snow-mobiling clothing. It is MUCH cheaper and the competition is greater because those markets are bigger.

For example check out these absolutely top of the line 3layer Gore-Tex bibs. They sport, fully taped seams, full length watertight leg zips (to cool you down and for ease of getting in and out) that also have a built in butt and knee pads. Can be found for around $300. Mind you that's the top of the heap, with all the bells and whistles priced gear. The North Face and other companies make nice bibs and jackets for less. "Boating" gear is just too marked up.

=http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/snow/outerwear/gore-tex/3178-000

Stay warm. Stay dry.
MedSailor

·
Cherp
56 Posts
Hhmmm. If you need top end foul weather gear you must be a racer, sitting in an exposed cockpit or up on the rail to weather. If you need it when cruising you probably need to rethink your shelter arrangements. We added a hard dodger and a bimini attached to it to stopmwind and spray in cold weather. Now we rarely use foulies of any sort.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
One of the big sailing magazines (Cruising World, Sail, can't remember offhand which one) last year did a spread on what a number of people (most whose names you'd know) wore for foul weather gear. At least a third used no-name gear, or at least not the usual gear marketed to boaters (HH, Gill, etc). They seemed perfectly happy, were just as dry and spent much less.

Reactions: jrd22
1 - 20 of 69 Posts