SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my boats on the upper Chesapeake (Annapolis area), one our Pearson 35 and the other a small Sea Ray powerboat, it seemed to me that the barnacles this season were worse than last year - especially the prop and through-hulls. My raw water intake hole was pretty grown over on the P35.

Is that what you've found?

Do you dive and scrub your boats mid-season?

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,290 Posts
I dove once in late August or early September and had significant growth on metal parts, the hull was fine. Hauled the boat in late June for a quick scrub and check and hull was good, some growth at the waterline, but again there was significant growth on the metal parts.

I did not think it was as bad as last year, but we used our boat more this year than last so that could have been the difference?

Water temps were certainly lower than usual this year.

·
bell ringer
4,889 Posts
enough barnacles this year on the shaft to make a banquet

I used some hardware store zinc paint on it this year, apparently the barnacles loved it

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
This year on the upper eastern shore was a 'extra-heavy slime & barnacle festival'.

I had returned from the tropics and had probably leached out all the 'anti-slime' properties .... over two years without applying new bottom paint. Plus, I usually 'over-zinc' my boat and that in itself promotes more hard growth than 'normal'. With active anti-slime paint I usually dont get barnacles.
The barnacles on the far Upper Ches. are seemingly full of micobacteria which makes it prudent for short hauls, unless you dont care about the possible risk of severe and serious skin infections - I have the tee-shirt and a bit of scaring from past 'fests' when I dove over-board to clean the hard stuff. Although I may have brought many of these hitchhikers back from the HOT water, the deposition this year was incredible .... I had to short haul twice during midsummer, once for a growing barnacle ball that was totally covering a folding prop that was losing its "zinc-rich barnacle barrier coat".

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
My impression is that early season growth was fast, but then it slowed way down. I've noticed that other years; I'm assuming spring floods bring nutrients. I was convinced my 2-year paint (PCA Gold--on sale?) was failing, but it seems OK now and may make 2 years.

But I'm going back to Micron 66 this time, after several others. Yes, I'm mid-Bay, but it worked fine last time. The rep said that Deale was JUST on the edge of the salinity applicability, and that good prep and taking it out in the ocean for a few weeks immediately after launching probably helped.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I am out in the Eastern Caribbean. The barnacle problem which is usually really severe over the summer is significantly down this year.

My prop is still a flowerpot though. Lots of soft coral growth

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
A little worse than usual. We have a diver down twice a season. I am now on my third year with Ultima 60 and it's still going strong. It will be its last year as I will short haul in June and repaint.

Love the Ultima 60. Used to use micron extra which I was happy with.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
We had many barnacles on the prop. Usually, Propspeed does it's job, this year, not so much. It wasn't covered, but there were quite a few that I needed to scrape off in mid August. The water in our bay was very warm this year.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use West Marine's mid-grade CCP ... it did fine on the painted areas. Just my prop and thru-holes didn't fair well. I've used Petit Zinc Barrier coat on the prop.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
No barnacles in my area - the water is too fresh in the upper Chesapeake at the mouth of the Susquehanna River. Get a small amount of slime, but that's it.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
No barnacles in my area - the water is too fresh in the upper Chesapeake at the mouth of the Susquehanna River. Get a small amount of slime, but that's it.

Thought you folks at HdG are now starting to see zebra muscles ... at least that what DNR is supposedly finding.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
My boat came out of the water today, no zebra mussels, no anything. Just a tiny bit of slime - that's it! I don't believe the zebra mussels can survive the nasty pollution in the Chesapeake's upper reaches, but I could be wrong. In fact, I wish they would show up in the bay - maybe they would clean it up. The billions spend on the Chesapeake Bay Cleanup Program sure as Hell have not do it!

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,290 Posts
My impression is that early season growth was fast, but then it slowed way down. I've noticed that other years; I'm assuming spring floods bring nutrients. I was convinced my 2-year paint (PCA Gold--on sale?) was failing, but it seems OK now and may make 2 years.

But I'm going back to Micron 66 this time, after several others. Yes, I'm mid-Bay, but it worked fine last time. The rep said that Deale was JUST on the edge of the salinity applicability, and that good prep and taking it out in the ocean for a few weeks immediately after launching probably helped.
You might consider Pettit SR 40 or 60 or even hydracoat. I have fair much better with slime and barnacles with Pettit SR 40 then I did with any Micron product, 66, Extra, etc. FWIW anyway ;)

·
First String
868 Posts
I went down 3 times my self and paid a diver 6 times this year to keep up with the growth here in the South East. It does seam like this year has been a lot of growth. I hauled last march and will not haul it out this spring. I will put a new shaft anode on while in the water. As long as it never looks like this again I will be happy.

Looks a lot better cleaned

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Dove approx. once a week on the haul..found it rather clean with some slim at the water line..maybe one or two barnacles on the prop. One thing I did differently this year is that I used a rag to clean the bottom instead of a nylon bristle brush..

We use Pettit Trinidad SR on the haul and Speed Prop on the prop

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Up on the freshwater Delaware River the water temp topped out at 75° this summer; normal high water temp is about 85°. While I would have thought that the lower temps would suppress slime formation, that was not the case. The water was clearer than normal (less suspended algae), but apparently the added sun penetration helped the slime grow on the hull. We had noticeably more slime on the starboard side of the boat, which faces south in the slip, and also has no finger pier shadowing that side. I believe that the greater sunlight on that side contributed to the heavier growth.

I've used Pettit Vivid for the past 4 years, and getting 2 years out of each application. I'm not sure if the greater slime growth this year was the environment, the paint losing its slime-suppression ability at the end of year 2, or both.

I'm ready for a change, so I will be looking for a soft ablative to apply this spring. I'm interested to hear your comments on Pettit SR 40, SR 60, or PCA Gold, particularly around slime suppression capability. (I know Practical Sailor has recently rated SR 40 quite highly for slime protection.)

Part of the change is driven by wanting to suppress hard growth over the next couple of years. Although we're still in fresh water, we spent more time in the Chesapeake this year, and expect that trend to continue for the next couple of years. Five days in Worton and Rock Hall were apparently enough to yield a few barnacles this year.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,286 Posts
Up on the Providence River, it wasn't too bad. When I had my boat launched in early May, after a fresh layer of Pettit Hydrocoat, she sat in the water for 2½ months as I recuperated from ACL reconstruction. I sailed and did a cursory scrub, and check of the zinc's in mid-August. When I pulled her out in Mid-October, this is what I saw;

In August the zincs were fine (>70%). In October they were GONE! Absolutely NO sign of them! (the pic above was taken less than 30 seconds after she was hauled) Fortunately the prop, shaft and strut all look fine.

What happened to the zincs?:confused: My current theory is that the fish are using the tools that I keep dropping overboard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts