SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
I just bought the Fraser 41 "Cassie" after selling my Longliner/Jig boat. Glad to hear they are so well thought of. It was the best boat I could find for the money, even in today's market.

I would really appreciate it if someone could send me a copy of the cutter rig sail plan or sail dimensions etc. I am preparing to sail it home to Alaska and am looking out for some spare sails.
Hey Hyrdflyr,

Where in AK is your boat located? My wife and I are in Juneau and we're about to head south to check out a few Fraser 41's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I may need to make a trip to the northwest to look at all three. I'll have to combine it with a visit to my sister who lives in Seattle. Thanks for the input. I agree that the boat in surrey seems a little pricy for the little you get. Even if it has little use. It need a lot of work to get her ready for offshore.
Dear Jason I am the Marine Surveyor and owner of Dana Marine Service Marine surveyors and I must tell you that Ari De Kleer has his own Fraser41 for sale and they sell around $86,000 and well worth every penny.I think it might be the vessel Ari won the vancouver to maui race several years back. This is an engineered racing hull sailing racing and racing hulls come at a premium. Racing Folk will tell you that is a very fair price for a racing hull when they can pay 4,000,175 for 1 carbon fibre sail and throw it away after one race These racing folks will jump at a Fraser 41 endurance class. Especially one that Ari finished all the mahogany bright work himself. It is a classic hand roved fibreglass hull and looks like it just came out of the yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ray,

My wife and I are the original owners of "Nikko", she was christened and named in honor of my wife Nikki. She was originally brought to the states in an unfinished condition with about a foot of water in her interior, over the cabin sole. We owned and lived aboard and cruised Nikko for nearly 15 years. During that time we finished her interior, stepped her mast (there is a commemorative coin under the mast step placed when we first stepped her spar) and took care and pride in her as she did us. We both have extremely fond memories of our times aboard this Fraser and think very highly of the DeKleer Bros. It would be a treat for me to once again go aboard and learn of her travels since our stewardship. Are you still in the area? Please feel welcome to call or email me if you are so inclined.

Best regards,

Pat Jutte
206-940-7329

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Greetings Pat,

I'm very thankful that our friend "Faster" gave me a heads up about your post here. We're pulling Nikko out this spring for a new motor and standing rigging. Susan Jasman said you had a coin under the mast and we wanted to get it back to you. I also wanted to find out what you knew about the engine compartment cover. It looks like it's designed to come off, but holly cow! it's on there good.

Nikko has a watermaker now, a hydrovane, we pulled out the marine toilet and put a composting toilet in and we're fixin' to rig up a solent stay for a heavy weather head sail. The guys from Ballard Sail made us a head sail that fits the boat beautifully. We were passing up boats left and right when we got some wind over 10 knots.

I don't get over here to Sailnet much anymore. I dropped you a private message with my home email. We're in La Conner and we'd love to have you up.

Ray

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I believe you will be delighted with how well Ray has taken care of Nikko. We've been aboard and she is a remarkable boat.

Reactions: Faster

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
Hey guys, Jesse here!

I've been looking all over for a bluewater boat and have been looking at tons of boats, and this came up. From what I hear, it needs the wood re-finished (I build furniture and do interior carpentry for a living) and some paint and things (mast step), but what do you guys think?

the opinions and advice I've gotten from this forum so far has been invaluable to me, and you guys are great.

Thanks a ton!

the listing is

1974 Fraser Center Cockpit 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

·
Old enough to know better
4,343 Posts
Hey guys, Jesse here!

I've been looking all over for a bluewater boat and have been looking at tons of boats, and this came up. From what I hear, it needs the wood re-finished (I build furniture and do interior carpentry for a living) and some paint and things (mast step), but what do you guys think?

the opinions and advice I've gotten from this forum so far has been invaluable to me, and you guys are great.

Thanks a ton!

the listing is

1974 Fraser Center Cockpit 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Well the price is right, but it won't be ready for blue water for a LONG time and a LOT of money. that motor looks shot (not that you can tell from a photo) the electric looks frighting, those propane hot water heaters are terrifying(trying to kill whoever is in the v-birth?), and of course the cushions are destroyed, and dated. My guess doing the work yourself, it would take 40,000 to 50,000 to get this back up to snuff. Replacement engine is going to 18-20,000++ at least, the electrical will be $4000+ in materials, cushion fabric alone is going to be 4,000 + foam, plumbing will be several thousand, good set of sails will be $10,000+, cabinetry will be another $10,000, floors will $4000. My biggest thought is if they (says same owners for 19 years) would install or even use those water heaters, what else did they do that was unsafe? If all the decks are good, and outside is at least as good as the photos, then it is a doable project assuming you have had a few boats before.

She is pretty, very pretty, but don't let that blind you.

Raindog is selling his boat, ready to go for a lot less(smaller though) than this will cost all in. Unless you are looking for a project.

·
19,489 Posts
We have friends just returned from 11 years offshore on their Fraser 42.. while this one might need some work, it's got great bones. Certainly a capable vessel, as is the (IMO) prettier Fraser 41 (same hull, aft cockpit and more streamlined deck plan) These are solid, well built boats but many were owner-finished from hull&deck kits so fit and finish varies.

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
cushion fabric alone is going to be 4,000 + foam,
Uhm, 4000? I grew up doing custom fabric work with my parents. that seems... mighty steep for some fabric, even if you were to do it in cordura, or some other bulletproof nylon, I couldn't see it anywhere near there...

engine for 18-20 "at least?"

I've found them all around 7,000... CAD...

I'm not trying to devalue what you have said, I just am trying to be realistic about pricing things out, being 22 and all and not having an unlimited budget, and doing most of it myself.

but I am interested in hearing about the other boat that is for sale. Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks so much

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
We have friends just returned from 11 years offshore on their Fraser 42.. while this one might need some work, it's got great bones. Certainly a capable vessel, as is the (IMO) prettier Fraser 41 (same hull, aft cockpit and more streamlined deck plan) These are solid, well built boats but many were owner-finished from hull&deck kits so fit and finish varies.
That's kind of my line of thinking. I mean, theoretically, you can sail something with no interior across oceans, it's not my major concern. I don't require fancy finishing or any of that (although I'm capable of achieving it) it seems like a bit of a waste on a boat that I intend to surf, freedive, fish, and live out of..

·
19,489 Posts
If you're doing your own upholstery then of course the costs will come down. I expect that mpaul was thinking of having the cushions recovered professionally (and paying for it) in which case for a boat with that many berths/settees etc his estimate is conservative. Add more for new foam (quite possibly well advised) But if you can DIY that's a big deal.

Again, repowering costs suggested includes R & R and labour involved, so an $8K engine becomes a $16K install pretty quickly, and maybe more after shaft mods, re-propping, etc etc. Especially when changing platforms, there can be a lot of work in rejigging mounts, stringers, spacers etc.. all costly.

There's a thread here on 'RainDog' a Pacific Seacraft and a fine offshore voyager being for sale.

There's a bit of BC loyalty in seeking out a Fraser, there are several 41s and 42s for sale locally, I believe, or at least there was a few weeks back. Try Craigslist and Kijiji as well as Yachtworld. I think they are great boats for what you want to do... The two below are local, there are several others in various locations offshore on Yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Fraser-41-Sloop-2846652/Sidney/Canada#.VuhbheIrK70

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Fraser-Sloop-2777491/Surrey/Canada#.VuhbqOIrK70

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
If you're doing your own upholstery then of course the costs will come down. I expect that mpaul was thinking of having the cushions recovered professionally (and paying for it) in which case for a boat with that many berths/settees etc his estimate is conservative. Add more for new foam (quite possibly well advised) But if you can DIY that's a big deal.

Again, repowering costs suggested includes R & R and labour involved, so an $8K engine becomes a $16K install pretty quickly, and maybe more after shaft mods, re-propping, etc etc. Especially when changing platforms, there can be a lot of work in rejigging mounts, stringers, spacers etc.. all costly.

There's a thread here on 'RainDog' a Pacific Seacraft and a fine offshore voyager being for sale.

There's a bit of BC loyalty in seeking out a Fraser, there are several 41s and 42s for sale locally, I believe, or at least there was a few weeks back. Try Craigslist and Kijiji as well as Yachtworld. I think they are great boats for what you want to do... The two below are local, there are several others in various locations offshore on Yachtworld.

1983 Fraser 41 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1980 Fraser Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Fair, and this is true. (about the DIY stuff) I never really think about paying for the labour.

I notice these are 41s! haha It seems someone has a preference!

·
4,343 Posts
Uhm, 4000? I grew up doing custom fabric work with my parents. that seems... mighty steep for some fabric, even if you were to do it in cordura, or some other bulletproof nylon, I couldn't see it anywhere near there...

engine for 18-20 "at least?"

I've found them all around 7,000... CAD...

I'm not trying to devalue what you have said, I just am trying to be realistic about pricing things out, being 22 and all and not having an unlimited budget, and doing most of it myself.

but I am interested in hearing about the other boat that is for sale. Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks so much

Well reports here for engine replacements here from people who have actually done it, doing most of the work yourself have been far higher, does that 7000 include a transmission? how is your shaft? new shaft and log or PSS seal is going to be at least a grand. New exhaust, well there goes another grand, new transmission is a couple of grand, new prop, well there goes another boat buck. I have yet to see a new diesel even with diy get installed for under 15,000 and that is for a much smaller boat. Generally the engine is about half the cost of the install (materials only) so even using your 7,000 motor you are looking at 14,000 to start with. You are going to want at least 50 HP on that boat, preferably more.

Upholstery, unless you can find a hodgepodge of mixed fabrics is going to set you back at least 50 to 60 a yard, possibly far more if you want something very durable like Ultrasuede that runs well over a $100 a yard. Keep in mind you will likely want to use matching UV resistant fabrics, not what you find on the discount rack at the local fabric store. You will need a lot of fabric, so odd lots won't work, unless you want all your work to not increase the value of the boat. If you are only 22 (especially if single) I would concentrate on boats no bigger than mid 30 foot, the Frazer listed is good for a full family with kids, if you don't have that you are just going to waste your money maintaining an unnecessarily large boat. I live on a 33 foot boat and have plenty of room, could use more storage, but it is more of a racer than a cruiser so there is not a lot of storage on her. I have been on 27 foot boats that would be good for living on, and actually planed on something more that size.

With boats the costs to maintain it go up way more that just by boat length. So a 30 foot boat will cost less than half to maintain than that 42 foot boat. So do your budget a favor and look smaller, and cruse longer.

The two boats Faster posted are TONS better boats, at least by the photos.

Here is rain dog's posting.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/244025-pacific-seacraft-34-rain-dog-sale.html

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
Appreciate it! I forgot about bimini fabrics and the like, that being said, I think I have a 400 yd roll of ultrasuede in the basement here somewhere. Leftovers from the clothing empire...

maybe I should consider selling it off?

I've been looking at 30-36 footers for cruising, it just seemed that they were a little bit small for all my stuff (I have a lot of gear)

·
4,343 Posts
Appreciate it! I forgot about bimini fabrics and the like, that being said, I think I have a 400 yd roll of ultrasuede in the basement here somewhere. Leftovers from the clothing empire...

maybe I should consider selling it off?

I've been looking at 30-36 footers for cruising, it just seemed that they were a little bit small for all my stuff (I have a lot of gear)
Leave the gear behind, you wont need it!

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
Leave the gear behind, you wont need it!
Shortboard, longboard, paddle board, climbing gear, freedive equipment, kiteboard kite, camping gear, spares, food, fishing equipment, dinghy, shotgun, outboard, spares, spares, spares, spares... I get your point but still...

If I'm not bringing the stuff to enjoy the places I go, as well as the sailing, is it really worth going?

I'm a massive gearwhore by the way...

But I guess I can save room with the lack of clothes I need... Just a couple pairs of shorts, a few t shirts and my third world work boots (flipflops)

·
19,489 Posts
But I guess I can save room with the lack of clothes I need... Just a couple pairs of shorts, a few t shirts and my third world work boots (flipflops)
Maybe... but not until you're well south of the California/Oregon border, even in summer. We left Victoria in July of '86, wore everything I brought - even the Mustang Cruiser suit until we got to Eureka.

For a taste go do a Swiftsure race in sparkling sunshine....

·
cocky young kid
61 Posts
Maybe... but not until you're well south of the California/Oregon border, even in summer. We left Victoria in July of '86, wore everything I brought - even the Mustang Cruiser suit until we got to Eureka.

For a taste go do a Swiftsure race in sparkling sunshine....
that's true. On days like today I forget it can be cold up here

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Nikko is getting her new motor. We pulled out the MD17 and we're putting in a Beta Marine 43. Probably the hardest part was getting the engine cover off. The galley double sink cabinet covered the motor and was screwed into the floor. Several of the screws were not accessible and had to be cut off by inserting a jitter saw blade between the cabinet and the floor from inside the cover.

Loading additional tools into the boat, a milk crate at a time:

Old motor exposed:

Gantry assembled in boat, getting ready to lift the old motor out.

Hooking the new motor up to the forklift stinger for the lift into the boat.

New motor being lowered to the companion way:

Pulling the new motor into the boat onto some blocks so gantry and can be assembled again for final lift and locating new motor mount holes.

There she sits, nice and shiny!

·
19,489 Posts
Hey Ray! Great to see the renewal.. Bigger job than expected??

81 - 100 of 133 Posts