SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just learning to sail, I have a chance to acquire a Rebel 16. It has sat in a barn for a number of years (7 or 8 yrs?) It's all there. There is light crazing all along the bottom and white chalking as well from waterline below. I have two questions? Is it still sailable for the season? And how much is this bottom going to $$ to restore? My labor.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As long as the bottom is not cracked or holed all the way through...you are talking the cost of some rubbing compound and polish. The rest is labor.

You could be out sailing in an hour or two. The crazing will not affect the sailing, and for the most part is cosmetic

Restore, usually means to like new condition, and that could set you back $$$, depending on what your level of restoration includes.

Me, I would rub her down, get a good layer of wax on and go sailing. Off season, you can really work the ugly stuff out.

Enjoy, be safe

·
Boatswain
878 Posts
Likely after being in storage for 8 years it will need all new lines. The rebel uses 217 ft of line. Sails may need repair/replacement. Center board will need to be checked that it is operational and repaired as needed, just be careful as it is over 100 lbs so don't drop it on anybody.

Minimum I would expect to spend a few hundred dollars if your lucky and upwards of $1000.00 if you are not.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The restoration cost will to some extent depend on how fancy you want your boat to be.
Does it have a trailer? If it does, make sure the tires are solid and the bearings are greased. Check the lines to see if they are solid, check stitches on your sails. Use sail tape to fix what needs to be fixed. Don't buy new sails until you know how to sail properly - just fix what you have. Check the stays and everything else. Go sailing.
Sounds like you got a very sweet deal... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts