SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone would like to take on a real project boat, there's an old ketch that is currently adrift and aground about 100 feet from the boss's private dock. It had been anchored out around 500 yards away for about two weeks. No sign of life on it. Yesterday we had a steady 20-25 knot wind from the southwest that finally broke the ground tackle, apparently. It came barreling down, aimed straight at our dock.

I called 9-1-1 and told the dummy at the other end there was a 50-70 foot sailboat drifting down on us and the cops needed to do something.

An hour later, after the apparent wrangling between agencies, first Fish and Wildlife showed up, wandered aimlessly for another 20 minutes before they finally saw the boat (which was sort of hung up on a sandbar). Fifteen minutes later the Jacksonville Sherrif's office showed up, wandered around in circles with the FW boat, looked inside the boat, then, with nothing done, departed at high speed.

I called them on channel 16 and asked them what the H*** they were doing, leaving the boat adrift. They told me 'We aren't authorized to do anything.'

As I've said, I have a temper. I said, "Break, break, break, Coast Guard Jacksonville, this is Ruffian..." and told the Coast Guard what was happening. From that point, we got a little action. Both water cops listened to my complaint to the USCG and immediately were on the radio playing CYA.

The bottom line, according to the USCG, who called me back via landline 4 times, is that there is no 'owner of record' for the boat. It's called the "Lisa K" and was home ported in Miami, FL. My guess is that it was one of the many Dinner Key Derelicts that someone probably just ripped off and brought up here.

Anyway. The boat is there. Anyone who wants a real project boat can lay salvage on her and have her towed somewhere to start the work. I can't tell you anything except the boat is a 50-70 foot ketch, possibly an old ferro cement or homebuilt steel boat (I'm better on ferro cement). The port side, which is all I can see is beat up. THere's a sail sort of blowing around on the foredeck, and the rest ain't wonderful.

Please come and get her. She's yours for nuthin'

Beats having her wind up hard aground in the shallows, or drifting around the St. John's River.

I'm really, truly serious about this. If you want more information, (I don't have too much more, but I can tell you where it is, etc.) leave me a personal message and an email address or phone number. I'll give you the address, etc., and do what I can to help.

:eek:

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Most boats that you can get for free aren't worth getting. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, Dog. So in the interest of convincing someone to come and take this fine yacht off to a new home, I'll be happy to charge someone for the information. :laugher

Here are a few pictures that I just took. As any discerning yachtsman can see, this fine yacht only needs a bit of cosmetic work. A bit of house paint, a few gallons of bleach and some elbow grease are all that's needed to get this beautiful long distance cruiser ready for a seven league trip.

(I can't believe I just wrote that. It sounds like the descriptions some broker would come up with! :puke )

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Let me guess, you were a used car salesman in a past life... :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dog,

I'm shocked that you could say that about me. When I was younger, I never sold a used car without first wiping it down with a coat of diesel fuel to make the oxidized paint shine, or adding the appropriate amount of STP, Bardahl, and Stop Leak to the engine, transmission and radiator.

If this fine yacht doesn't interest you, perhaps you would be interested in another vessel which I'm sure the boss would sell very happily. (This isn't a joke: ) The boss has a 26 foot Formula express cruiser that we just recently noticed has a tiny problem. Carpenter ants have eaten the wood inside of the fiberglass transom.

In any event, wouldn't someone PLEASE come and take this fine sailing yacht, the LISA K, and give her a new home? (Somewhere far from here, preferably. Maybe you could take her to Tommy Holland's yard up in Greencove Springs. I'm sure he'd be happy to help...) Think of the joy of accomplishment you'd have after you spend about a quarter million restoring this proud old vessel. (By which time, the boat would be worth about $1.99)

later,

Oh, well. Time to get some meaningful work done, I guess.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
That's a real shame; to see a boat, that actually floats, in that condition.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That looks like the homemade ferro-cement boat of my nightmares, if you can get it to California I'd be happy to tow it to the middle of the Pacific and scuttle it.
An anchored ketch was on the beach here after the last storms, owner hadn't been able to sell it for $4000, cost $7000 to get it off the beach, nobody wanted it for free when on the beach, go figure.

·
Registered
725 Posts
get all your buddies to help you tow it to some ones elses back yard or at least out to sea, at night of course.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hmm, wasn't someone asking about refurbishing a ferro boat a while ago, looking for spars and other parts?

Looks like it at least 'was' in sailing condition, not an unfinished project. could be a gold mine for someone in that situation.

Ken.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I believe either the State or the Army Corps might respond to derelicts or hazards to navigation. No lives are in danger, no crime is being committed. It's not a CG or police problem. But if I thought it threatened my boat or dock, I'd see to it myself that it was securely anchored.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I believe either the State or the Army Corps might respond to derelicts or hazards to navigation. No lives are in danger, no crime is being committed. It's not a CG or police problem. But if I thought it threatened my boat or dock, I'd see to it myself that it was securely anchored.
Me too, to the bottom. It would be fun to see how fast a boat made of concrete sinks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
no crime is being committed. QUOTE]
You mean its legal to abandon a boat and let it wash up in some back yard and no one is responsible??? Also if I went out and put an anchor on it and it broke loose again, would I be responsible for my actions? just a thought

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The USCG responded in what I thought was a proper fashion. Two petty officers spent most of yesterday tracking down the current owner by doing a little bit of leg work. Supposedly he's going to tow it off by the end of the week.

BadSanta, you're right. If you put an anchor out, or even try to tow it to someplace safer (or less hazardous, anyway), it becomes your problem.

What has been aggravating is that the local police wouldn't take the time to do what the USCG did. The Coasties also boarded the boat to make sure that there was not an injured or dead person aboard, and made sure there was no fuel. They said the interior is just as bad as the exterior.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Glad the CG took care of it. They are a good outfit.
You shouldn't be afraid to take reasonable action. It doesn't make the boat your responsibilty. Would you stand by, ignoring trouble, for fear of being sued? I wouldn't.
Don't let the lawyers win.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.