SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Nogin, I went through this with my Islander 26. The hull, rigging, mast and boom where solid. It did not have an engine. I gutted the boat over the winter and refit to the point it was sail-able during the spring. I spent the next 5 years tweaking and adding to her. Enjoyed both the opportunity to learn. There is lots of good information on the Internet from people who have been down this road before. Getting supplies and parts is not that expensive if you are not in a hurry and a little creative.

Would I do it again? Probably will as I can't afford the boat I want in ready condition. Plus by refitting prior to cruising I will know the condition and have familiarity.

If you have time and are looking for a fun adventurous project i would say go for it.

By the way, i sold my boat and recovered everything I put into it except dock fees.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Boats

Ouch. 4-5 years in the water means an awful lot of growth. Like mussels? :)
Barry, we're dragging another guy to the dark side!
Yeah, but if you're sailing and you get hungry, just pull some off the hull and throw in a nice marina sauce!

My boat should be launched today :)

We'll get Joe sailing!

Barry

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah, but if you're sailing and you get hungry, just pull some off the hull and throw in a nice marina sauce!

My boat should be launched today :)

We'll get Joe sailing!

Barry
No that's funny right there! Good luck with the launch Barry!!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Nogin,

BarryL's a big help. He even loaned me his car last year so I could see my son play Lacrosse during the fall migration of our boat. (Thanks Barry.)He's good to sail with too.

I must admit being interested in the boat with the good sails. I'm finding the spring projects on our boat are like thereapy or something. You get to 1) learn a lot, 2) see the results of you work very quickly and 3) enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. However, not sure I have the driveway for it.

Regards,
Brad

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How about I grab it and store it and you help with all the work to grab a piece of the satisfaction!!! :) lol
Nogin,

BarryL's a big help. He even loaned me his car last year so I could see my son play Lacrosse during the fall migration of our boat. (Thanks Barry.)He's good to sail with too.

I must admit being interested in the boat with the good sails. I'm finding the spring projects on our boat are like thereapy or something. You get to 1) learn a lot, 2) see the results of you work very quickly and 3) enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. However, not sure I have the driveway for it.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
For us paying for yard space while fixing made it a dollar NO GO and there is a LOT of stuff even the NICE yards will not allow and in the winter the way they pack the boats your lucky you can even walk to it :)

In my restore we did the math on moving the boat around between home and the marina IF we did a partial restore and went sailing this season and its BIG dollars.

The big problem we found in doing the restore off season is the cold prevents most painting and epxoy work and i gota tell you when its 15 degs its a ***** to warm the boat up :)

I was able to do a massive amount of work in the cold BUT could not do any of the outside paint work

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I made another driveway as my "boat driveway" and got a 40 boat port enclosure. Lucky me!

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just found out that this boat is pretty rare. Only 80 built ever and in production from 1965 - 1968. I like that.

BarryL is coming with me in the am to give her a quick look over. Thanks Barry!!! :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Good luck on your boat. Just set a splash date or you will be like the character from Cannery Row by Steinbeck. He works on his boat endlessly, but is terrified of the sea so keeps it in the woods. One night some people grab some sea life from the beach and put it on his hull. He moves away, afraid that his boat is taking itself out at night without his knowledge.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good luck on your boat. Just set a splash date or you will be like the character from Cannery Row by Steinbeck. He works on his boat endlessly, but is terrified of the sea so keeps it in the woods. One night some people grab some sea life from the beach and put it on his hull. He moves away, afraid that his boat is taking itself out at night without his knowledge.
Now that's funny right there!! :laugher :laugher :laugher ........ uhh :eek:

Not 100% sure I am getting her but I just realized she is not an O'Day 26, She's an Outlaw! Now to figure out what's the difference b/c the Outlaw is 26' ??

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
A marine mechanic bud of mine who happens to be. The one responsible for converting me from power to sail said the '60s O Days are non~resellable items and not a big fan. Is this preference? My goal would to restore/customize her, sail her for a few years then go larger.

What's the difference b/w outlaw and 26?

Thanks BarryL who took the time to come and look her over for me this morning!!

·
Sunsets and Warm Beer....
2,116 Posts
With sailing, everything is preference! LOL It was designed after the albergs, which I think definately makes it stand out from other Odays. You can generally spot a later Oday a mile away.

Miscellaneous information
From Meridith CUTTING on 06/02/1999:

My boat was made in Brampton, Ontario, Canada and I have met the builder. He went on to form
Northern Yachts in Ajax. There are quite a number of Northerns sailing in this area. The O'Day Outlaw
was redesigned and had a fin keel added to replace the full keel and that boat became the Northern 25.
There is another O'Day Outlaw at the Oshawa Yacht Club, but I don't know its age or hull no. When the
boat was redesigned, a foot was taken off the stern and the cabin space was enlarged. The boat also
got a lot lighter, as they had found out at that time just how strong fiberglass was and they didn't have to
use as much lay-up as they were previously to get a strong boat. Boats of the age that mine is tend to
be very strong and although heavy for a 26 footer, she is very responsive and fast. The overall design is
similar to that of an Alberg 30 if you are familiar with that boat. There is a reverse transom and the
outboard sits in a well covered by a lazarette. The whole picture looks very clean. Because of the
weight and hull design (Wineglass shape) the boat is very seakind and does not pond even in the
heaviest seas. The baby sister of the outlaw was the cruising version of the O'Day Tempest.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
O'day

A marine mechanic bud of mine who happens to be. The one responsible for converting me from power to sail said the '60s O Days are non~resellable items and not a big fan. Is this preference? My goal would to restore/customize her, sail her for a few years then go larger.

What's the difference b/w outlaw and 26?

Thanks BarryL who took the time to come and look her over for me this morning!!
Hi Joe,

You're very welcome. Like I said, I live about 10 minutes from there, so it was no problem to take a quick like. As you kniw, the boat appears to be solid, and everything is there. The rig looks fine, except you would have to change the spreaders. The boat has new sails, which is a major plus, and the standing rigging is in very good shape - no rust stains, no meathooks, the turnbuckles turned freely and were in good shape, etc.

The interior is a mess - note to all - don't use house paint and poor prep work to paint the interior of a boat. I think a good powerwash will make the inside look 100X better.

As long as you don't spend a lot of money making the boat seaworthy and family ready, you can't lose. With your skills, you should be on the water in after a few weeks labor.

It's probably true that O'days from the 60s are not desirable boats, but then again, not too many boats from the 60's are desirable anyway. As long as you don't put too much money into the boat you can't lose.

Barry

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Barry. Scarry how we think so similarly. Still the CT Seafarer is my #1 choice but as you said, if I am smart with what I do with the O Day I cant go wrong. Still waiting on CT .....

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
And further more, in prepping my Thompson power boat for sale, I dropped $1100 today for a rebuilt drive, fluids, new battery and labor. Imagine how that O Day would be looking with that kind of money in her!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oday Sailboat..

This all depends on how much work you want to put into it. The plus side is that you learn alot as you go, the down side is the time and money you put into it. Only you know where your limits are for that based on your other responsibilites and level or training and experience with boats. Good luck!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts