SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
First String
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thaught I would do a little update to this thread for the ones that welcomed me on board 2 years ago. Here is a few shots of the boat biginnings and where I am today.
1) new 2gm20F installed $3,495.00 installed my self
2) new bottom claening annd paint thru hulls etc. $2,400.00
3) New bimini's For captian and Crew $865.00
4) Auto plot repaire $350.00
5) New Diesel Fuel filter (FREE) Thanks John
I once said I got an almost free boat, Well I will not retract but I will admit it was a lot of work and cost some money. But I know my boat now from top to bottom all in the course of 18 months and it would have taken me years to learn a new boats systems. I think it was a good choice. Its a lot easer spending a little at a time and being able to sail at the same tome than the other way. I would never been able to swing that kind of money up front. I just wanted to say thank you to all of the guys on this site that helped me through the process It would have taken me a lot longer to complete this project without you. Again its not free.
On Saturday the forecast is high's around 75 degrees and light to med winds out of the north. So we sail.

Here are a few shots from when I found her rotting away on the mooring ball to today. Enjoy

Out with the old Engine

In With the New

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,299 Posts
VERY nice!

That "before" picture of the bottom looked like a field that needed to be mowed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Eherlihy - That's the new textured bottom paint by Interlux. It’s meant to more accurately blend in with the environment :)

Reactions: eherlihy

·
19,489 Posts
Atta boy, Itgo! ;)

Reactions: ltgoshen

·
First String
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eherlihy - That's the new textured bottom paint by Interlux. It’s meant to more accurately blend in with the environment :)
Interlux Ultra with biolux. Not so impressed. I had to send a diver down almost twice a month this past year. Even now its still growing. But This is my first time having to worrie with groth on the bottom? maybe its normal? Beaufort Hilton Head is a warm climats.

·
Registered
119 Posts
great job. I did almost the same thing as you did and couldn't be happier. I know every square inch of my boat. I'm guessing that less than 5% of the people on here have put that much love into their passion. Most buy their boat and then pay someone else to maintain it. I didn't see your beginning posts but I bet you got a lot of people who tried to talk negative about your project. I think they are just jealous that they don't have the talent to make a project like yours be a success. I think I used the same bottom paint but I'm on fresh water. Barely anything but a little slime after a whole season.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Looks good

Up here in Northport a wipe down on ANY bottom paint is needed every two weeks due to the nitrogen levels in the water supporting slime and barnacle larvae so well :)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
That is a great looking boat you can truly be proud of! :)
That boat looked like a piece of coral reef before...

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
Nice jib, she looks lovely.
Did you get a citation for destroying the protected marine ecosystem on your bottom?

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
How did you get a new Yannie for $3500? Was it your original engine rebuilt?

Great job by the way - you've got a great boat for dirt cheap.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
So the "free boat" with ~ $7,000 in improvements now has you a nice boat.
Really great job.

Now it is just the annual fees plus the expected & unexpected expenses.
Try out launching your boat from a trailer for a bit. See how you like it.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
ltgo-

I've often lamented the perfectly good boats rotting away in yards and on moorings. I've asked "Where are the young people who will adopt one of these, and sail away?"

You are the example to hold up to others.

You didn't pick just any boat, you chose a quality boat that sails well, that was in salvagable condition.
You also posted the process on how to legally obtain an abandoned boat, and deal with the paperwork.

You brought the boat back from a "zombie" to "living" in a respectable amount of time, for modest amount of money, especially considering that you replaced not repaired the engine.

You know every nut, seam and weld of your vessel.

When people lament that sailing is too expensive or too hard, I'm going to point at you. I hope you stick around and continue to show others how it can be done.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Well done! Having the familiarity you gained with your new boat and its systems is, at least, worth the equivalent of the $$ you spent! I have traveled a similar path. When you look at similarly priced boats (similar to what you have invested) you are not looking at boats with all the systems in new condition and are likely in need of what you have done to yours.

Enjoy! As you obviously already know, boats are not "things". They are a "process".;)

Down

1 - 20 of 30 Posts