SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The St. Petersburg Sailing Association will be hosting a free seminar at the St. Petersburg Yacht Club in downtown St. Pete on Friday February 6th at 7pm.

It will be on "Finding and Navigating Your Dream Boat".

We will be discussing how to use advanced search techniques online on eBoat Listings to find your ideal boat.
Then the class will focus on using the Navionics app to navigate said dream boat.

The seminar is free and there's a pub crawl afterward so don't miss it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking forward to the seminar on Friday night! I'll post the topics that we discussed so everyone can have the information in case you can't make it.

I will be discussing
1. how to use advanced search tools on eBoat Listings to find your dream boat
2. how to use the Navionics app to navigate said dream boat: settings, routes, auto routing, sonar charts, community edits, wind/tides/currents, saving routes, saving way points, sharing routes and waypoints, syncing across multiple devices, and more!

Are there any specific questions anyone wants answered?

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
is eboat listings your website? I tried doing a search, did not find several boats I know are active listings on several sites including Yachtworld. Not sure what sites you scrape to get your listings. Also the page clocked a long time, and often did not load boats in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
is eboat listings your website? I tried doing a search, did not find several boats I know are active listings on several sites including Yachtworld. Not sure what sites you scrape to get your listings. Also the page clocked a long time, and often did not load boats in a reasonable amount of time.
I used to be a glioblastoma (brain cancer) researcher and always dreamed of sailing the Caribbean and Bahamas. One day on the way home from the research lab I was in a horrible car accident where I was hit 3 times and, as I faced an 18-wheeler barreling down on me head-to-head at 80 miles an hour, I realized I would never see that sailing dream come true. When, by the grace of a higher being, the 18-wheeler took out the whole back half of my car instead of the front (I was spinning by that point) I survived a nearly unsurvivable wreck and was given a second chance. From that day forward everything I did aimed at making my dream of sailing the Caribbean and Bahamas come true. We started to look online for a boat with a wind generator, autopilot, etc. We found that there was no good way to search that specifically, so we built it and eBoatListings.com was born. We found our boat, bought it, quit our jobs, and, still in our early 30s, made our dream come true, sailing the Caribbean and Bahamas for a year.
The whole way we used Navionics for navigation. Upon our return from sailing I was telling all my friends about Navionics and one of them suggested that I get involved with their pro staff program and give seminars on how to use the technology, which is what I did. Therefore, I now give seminars on using the technologies offered by eBoat Listings and Navionics.

To answer your questions, eBoat Listings does not scrape boats. We are a private listing service. Therefore, individuals and brokers can choose to list their boat with us. We are a listing service so there is no contract. Sellers can list their boat with us only or with multiple sites. It's up to them. As for brokers, some provide us with feeds and some enter their boats by hand. However, just because there is a boat for sale on another listing service it does not mean that it will be listed on eBoat Listings. That goes the other way around as well- just because there is a listing on our site does not mean it is listed on another site.

My apologies that you experienced slow load times. It would be a huge help to us if you could tell us if you were on a mobile device or a computer. Also, what browser were you using? Sometimes, with searches that are very broad, there can be thousands of boats that match the search criteria so it can potentially slow the search results. Were you attempting broad or narrow searches? Your feedback could be especially useful considering your occupation is, as you put it, "Computer Geek". :)

Thanks very much for your feedback and help! We do our best to listen and respond to all feedback and comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.