SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I have several parts for a Freedom 21. Basically the whole boat. It was left at my dock three years ago. The owner has passed away and the surviving family doesn't want anything to do with it. Including signing it over to anyone. So I`m going to break it up. The mast is fine as well as the boom. Cushions inside are new and the main sail is new. Plus much more. I`m in New Rochelle NY. Thanks John

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
In most states, if you had a lease with the person who rented the slip, there is a pretty straightforward process to declare it abandoned on your property and end up owning the boat. These were one of the nicer boats that Freedom made and you should be able to get more out of her intact rather than parted out. That design is probably worth $3-4,000 if you have sails and an outboard. There is very little of salvage value on that boat since with was such an unique design.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff... Unfortunately, I have no paper work for the dockage. I was doing a friend a favor. I had offered it for free to several people and they ended up running into a dead end because the family of the owner wont sign anything. They are still around and wont even sign for the registered mail.

John

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
973 Posts
I have just posted this on one of the Freedom Yachts forum threads (http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12741&p=50620#p50620). There is a disabled sailing group on San Francisco Bay that recently took ownership of a Freedom 21, which was found to have some cracks in the mast. Not sure if they would want the expense of getting a new mast shipped across the country, but if you could hold off on doing anything with the mast for a bit, that would be great. It's too bad you can't get title through some abandoned property law. The F21s are awesome little boats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello.... I`m not going to be breaking it up till it gets warm, so that should give you some time. Thanks John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to run this to ground (no pun) do you still have the complete boat along with accessories? Is there a trailer? Do you have any pics? I might think about trying to register it in Texas as salvage or something.
Hello... No trailer, but the boat is complete. I don't think it would be worth the trouble to bring the boat from New York to Texas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may be interested in the sails. I own a F21 that needs a main and jib. Do you know what condition they are and who made them?
941-266-8709
Pete Buros

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may be interested in the sails. I own a F21 that needs a main and jib. Do you know what condition they are and who made them?
941-266-8709
Pete Buros
Hello... The sails are new, I will look and see what make they are this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any luck checking out the sails? I have a daughter living in Brooklyn who might be able to do the transaction if we can come to terms

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello... I sent an email outwith pictures, but it came back. The sails are Sobstads. Maybe used two times. One is a Mylar and the other Dacron. They wont let me send pictures or my email because I don't have enough posts. Thanks John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts