SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Barquito
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was winterizing my A4 yesterday, and found that there was a hole in the top of the motor. After a little research, I figured out this was the freeze-out plug. We have been a little below freezing a few times this fall, but, I really don't think the water in the engine even froze. Any idea why parts would be popping off my A4?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Those may be holes made when casting to get the sand out of the water jacket. The plugs can corrode and fall out. Easy to replace,preferably with a new one. Place in cleaned hole convex to you and bop with a block of hardwood....Usually under the manifold where you can't get to them.

·
Barquito
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The strange thing was, that I found a plug laying next to the engine, that was obviously too big for the hole. I haven't had time to look again, but, maybe two popped out. I can't imagine whacking one of those things in with any success. I may go with one of the rubber expanding freeze-out plugs. Man, I learn something new about this engine every year that I really would rather have not! [Still an A4 fan:)]

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
The strange thing was, that I found a plug laying next to the engine, that was obviously too big for the hole. I haven't had time to look again, but, maybe two popped out. I can't imagine whacking one of those things in with any success. I may go with one of the rubber expanding freeze-out plugs. Man, I learn something new about this engine every year that I really would rather have not! [Still an A4 fan:)]
Can you share pictures?

Down

·
Barquito
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if you can see, but there is cooling water sloshing around in the hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts