SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Incredible! Seems like only a few years ago that it took nearly a year.

This was faster than most ships are capable of - must have averaged around 25 knots. :eek

·
Registered
919 Posts
Does anyone know what route must be taken for the record? Are they allowed to go through any canals or do they have to follow the same route around the Cape of Magellan and Cape Horn? Despite the technology and mechanics now available it is still a worthy endeavor to admire from the human endurance perspective. I think most people would go more than a little batty from sleep deprivation and isolation on that trip.

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
.....must have averaged around 25 knots. :eek
Over the record setting 24hr distance covered of 851 miles, he averaged over 30 knots!! Holy crap. I don't know how you sleep alone with a boat moving that fast.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
So more impressive than a bunch of foilers going around marks and having to call the race if it’s too windy. For me this is the pinnacle of engineering and sailing not the AC.

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
So more impressive than a bunch of foilers going around marks and having to call the race if it’s too windy. For me this is the pinnacle of engineering and sailing not the AC.
Until someone hits a submerged object at 30 knots while asleep. Seems as much daredevil as skill.

Curious, are these record setters permitted to have tactical help from ashore, or are they making all their own calls from the ship.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great story! Thanks for the link.
So cool that stories like this are making national news. I heard a short mention about it today on a local radio station.
Go Francois, go!

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Does anyone know what route must be taken for the record?
It seems they usually start somewhere in France, and then head south around the capes then back to France. The canals would be slow. Aside from canaling itself, theyre both closeish to the equator, where the earths small circles are greater in circumference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts