SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found the source of a deck leak, someone? maybe even the Manufacturer ran an attaching screw for a headliner panel all the way through the hull/deck joint opening a hole all the way to the bolt on toe rail. Its directly in line with the toe rail/ hull deck bolts. What is the best fix, I can clean out and open up the hole from the bottom easily. Maybe even with a squared end drill bit and fill with epoxy or 5200, which would be best? I am open to suggestions Drilling all the way through and bolting is an option but I don't see the need to drill the rub rail I think all I need to do is seal the hull/deck penetration. The water is running under the rub rail and through the Fiberglas, the rail is unaffected at this point.
The Boat is a CS30 with aluminum rail FYI
Thanks for any help. AL

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I am not sure I understand the issue, but leaks can often "come out" far from where it starts. So it may be coming out that screw hole, but may have started up at a deck penetration fairly far away, I can't understand how a headliner screw would penetrate the hull deck joint. Perhaps some photos may help. So what I am saying is you may have a saturated core, and water is coming out of the headliner screw, but what needs to be fixed is the source of the water. It could be a near by hatch, port, sail track, Bimini mounting screw or really any deck fixture/penetration on the outside. But as explained it does not sound like the source is the headliner screw, but that is where it is coming out.

·
al brazzi
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got this sorted out, I had it in two different threads trying to get to know the forums. There is a 3/4" square strip the headliner attaches to right under the rub rail through bolts and in at least 6 places it is screwed directly into this fiberglass area. One screw went all the way through the hull/deck lap and up to the rubrail but didn't penetrate that. I tightened the through bolts a little and squeezed the butyl into the hole and stopped the leak. At least on the side I'm working on I will bond a small wood block to that area to catch these screws. the other 5 screws apparently didn't go deep enough to leak. I will admit the leak was worse with the screw removed but it was enough to turn a panel into mush so it has been going for some time, I'm confident since the boat was built. Though not in the cored deck so no issues there, its solid FG on the Hull Deck joint.
BTW I got more responses in the Maintenance forums so I guess that's where this would go. Don't know if I can do photos yet may be a post count I need to look into that.

Thanks AL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.