SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a new fresh water pump, Flowpump fl-35. After a few weeks of using it, it started to pulse every 2-3 minutes even though all faucets are closed and there is no water leek. (to make sure of this i connected a short hose to the pump's outlet and blocked it. The pump still pulses every few minutes)
I am on a cruise now and cannot return to the shop i baught it at for the guarentee. Any ideas how to FIX the problem?

Thanks

·
Bluenoser
192 Posts
There is a little internal pressure regulating valve inside the pump (usually a rubber disc backed up by a spring...) That is probably the culprit. A bit of grit from the tank may have got lodged in the valve, allowing a tiny amount of flow to recycle around the pump diaphragm and causing the pump to lose pressure and cycle. Sorry, I can't recommend a fix, other than taking the pump apart for cleaning - something you probably don't want to do if its under warranty. BTW, an inlet strainer or filiter is a good idea on any pump of this type and may prevent this sort of trouble in the future.

·
Senior Cruiser
512 Posts
It may be a small leak in the system. Shut the pump off overnight (not opening any taps etc) then turn it on in the morning; if it cycles you have your answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both replies!
jimjazzdad - your reply seems to have somehow solved the problem: i placed a strainer right before the pump, and the pulses stopped. I hope it stays like this.
Thanks again,
Udi

·
Registered
21,786 Posts
Had this happen once and the pump turned out to have a torn diaphragm.

·
Registered
21,786 Posts
What do you mean by "accumulator?
Small tank that accumulates pressurized water. They keep the pump from cycling too much or be shocked by quick on and off of the faucet. The folks that make the fresh water pumps all make them as well, I believe. Not expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts