SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
fresh-water pump on my 32 foot boat (year 1996) died and I need an adequate replacement. Given that current pump and the rest are older, I am having hard time selecting an appropriate new pump. Nor did I find any data-points out
there on manufacturers websites that would guide me in selection process.
Here are some parameters, hopefully useful to describe the environment:
-) boat is 32 feet (J/32) with 4 outlets (faucets) and all the water lines are
pretty much in close proximity
-) current system has a regular pump (I cannot tell the brand or specifications)
with output into a water accumulator (capacity 1.5 liters)
-) I am seasonal user of the boat and the water pump typically doesn't run for
a long time and don't need the level of water pressure I have in house

So I am wondering, what would be appropriate replacement that would be a
good fit and would work well with existing setup (not too much pressure to
harm anything) ? And second, should I keep the water accumulator in water
supply-lane or should a more modern pump be enough and I can bypass it.
Thank you very much for any insights! Regards, Roman

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would find out what the gal/per/minute or GPM is for your current pump and get one that is close to that. Catalina used the same pump of several different models so I don't think that finding THE one for your specific boat is necessary. I have a 86 Catalina 30 that the origional pump died a few years ago. All I needed was new diaphragm but couldn't find one. The replacement pump was now obsolete too, so I just got one about the same size and output. Works great.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Any of the online marine stores will have auto-pressure water pumps for sale for around $100.00. Pick pretty much any one you wish. This is not at all a critical match up. You might want to pay particular attention to the size of your hoses and the barbs that come on the pumps, but honestly, any pressure water pump will do the job.

Reactions: roman3201

·
Dufour 27 Newb
109 Posts
Hi! I am also on the market for a fresh water automatic pressure pump and as mentioned earlier in the thread, these are readily available from any marine shop. Any important feature is the pressure and I think you will need one with 45psi. cheers.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes, keep the accumulator. It keeps the pump from running all the time when using the water and gives you an even flow of water. Also, keeps the system from potential erratic operation...makes smooth. It works like a reservoir with pressurized water all the time. Actually it compresses the air in the accumulator.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just replaced the pump on my Cal 31 with a plain West Marine 3 gallons per minute pump. Ditto on checking the outlet/hose size. I had to convert the outlet size. Not hard, just meant another trip to West Marine. For those buying an older boat with a broken pump...check the entire system for leaks or disconnected hoses, once new pump is operational.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.