SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am wondering what all of you alls opinions are regarding placement of freshwater tanks. I have a 30 gallon tank glassed in under my v-berth which I know is the traditional sort of placement it seems for fresh water tanks but I can't stop thinking about how it seems like a bad place for it weight wise. I would like to increase my freshwater holding capacity to at a minimum 50 gallons ore more and I would like to have two separate tanks in case one is compromised.

I am sure under the V- berth is the common location because of access to space is so limited but the idea of having 50 + gallons are water and the weight of entire anchor set up for cruising seems like a lot of weight to have forward.

I considered putting two 25 gallon tanks under the each of the cabin settees amidships but not sure, at least that would bring the weight down and back but then if you empty one your vessel would list and be off balance.

thoughts?

thanks
James
1965 Alberg 30 (#55)
Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The Pearson 35 has a 35 gallon tank under the v-berth. It's always empty unless I'm making a long passage. That's the last place I want nearly 300 lbs of static load. You really notice the weight going to weather in increased hobby horsing. Fortunately also have a 20 gallon tank under each settee in the main cabin which is more than enough water for staying aboard or short cruises.

Unfortunately my sabre 28 is pressed for space and the factory made a choice to stick the water tanl under the V berth rather than wipe out storage under the settees. Haven't owned the boat long so no real idea how much it hurts performance. Will only be daysaiing the boat so will probably only keep a few gallons of water in the tank even if it doesn't hurt performance all that much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts