SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my boat back from the yard after they did numerous repairs. One of the things they did was wax the whole thing. Now, the hull looks great, but after I washed off the dust, the deck doesn't. It has this gray, cloudy look to it, when it should be bright white. Even heavy scrubbing with boat soap doesn't seem to take it off. Any idea what this is? It didn't look like this before the wax!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you are talking about the deck - not the topsides?

I have not seen anti-skid on a boat topsides before.
Was your deck bright white before?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm...apparently I misplaced my topsides, or my nautical dictionary! Yes, I'm referring to the deck, and it was bright white before.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Looks like they didn't wash the deck or compound the oxydized gelcoat...and just waxed over it all...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Who cares how shiny your deck is! It does not affect performance at all. I guess you could have this fixed, or nag the boatyard to redo it, but you aren't going to make any friends doing that! I would suggest just letting it go, and fixing it when the time comes to rewax.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Methinks you'll have to strip and redo.

Dawg nailed the problem.
There are products available that you can use to completely strip off the wax and dirt the yard "forgot" to remove.
Good luck with it. You do have some work ahead.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
My guess is some idiot was sanding their bottom nearby (without a vacuum), dust flying everywhere and some settled on your boats deck, then over night the dew wet the paint.

·
Registered
36 Posts
T37 is spot on.Fresh wax seems to be a magnet for airborne bottom paint dust.My company details boats,if we are asked to wax a deck while boats on land in yard,we warn owner of this risk.Worst part is you cannot wash discoloration away-wax job must be re-done. Not yards fault, but a predictable outcome to deck wax on the hard.

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
Looks...

It looks a lot like sanding dust or pollution fall out hit with rain or dew. Waxed decks should bead water. Spray a little onto the decks just to confirm they actually waxed them..

Black Streak Remover should clean this up but you'll need to re-wax after. If it's bottom paint you'll need something stronger..

·
'87 Pearson 27'
513 Posts
I just had mine compounded and waxed and it looks good but i think if i put some more wax on it would look better. Maine Sail, is that right? What wax should i use? Sorry about hijacking the thread

·
Registered
928 Posts
SO,
HOW MUCH DID YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM TO SCREW UP YOUR BOAT??

I just got my boat back from the yard after they did numerous repairs. One of the things they did was wax the whole thing. Now, the hull looks great, but after I washed off the dust, the deck doesn't. It has this gray, cloudy look to it, when it should be bright white. Even heavy scrubbing with boat soap doesn't seem to take it off. Any idea what this is? It didn't look like this before the wax!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like to call this attitude the "Pussyfying of America"!:laugher

You know, not speaking up when you pay for goods or services you don't get. You just go away mumbling with your tail between your legs because your mommy taught you not to mean and what goes around comes around, Karma and such poop.

Standing up for your consumer rights does not have to mean yelling and screaming or going to court. It does mean that you have act and not just be passive. If you are not willing to spend the time to get it done right then you deserve what you get.

Most business owners want you to be a happy customer but you may have to go through a couple of people to get to them.

AND, when you get out of school and start working and buy that car of you dreams and take it somewhere to have thse special wheels installed---:)

AND, when you pick it up you find the paint job is screwed up and it has a few dings in it, don't worry it won't affect the performance.:eek:

AND, don't speak up, just let it go because that is no way to make friends.:rolleyes:

Who cares how shiny your deck is! It does not affect performance at all. I guess you could have this fixed, or nag the boatyard to redo it, but you aren't going to make any friends doing that! I would suggest just letting it go, and fixing it when the time comes to rewax.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate everyone's input. My suspicion has been that fresh wax attracted dust and it get stuck in the wax. It has been really dusty around here lately (no rain), and being in a boatyard doesn't exactly help.

I actually didn't tell the yard to do this, and I didn't pay for it (at least directly). We had the boat hauled out to do a bunch of hurricane Ike related repairs, which was all covered by my insurance (so I didn't pay for it). I would feel different if I had shelled out a bunch of my own cash for this. I'm going to try some DIY solutions, and if that doesn't work, I'll talk to the yard about rectifying the situation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and Mr. Tager should join the navy; it would be good for him.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,287 Posts
T37 is spot on.Fresh wax seems to be a magnet for airborne bottom paint dust.My company details boats,if we are asked to wax a deck while boats on land in yard,we warn owner of this risk.Worst part is you cannot wash discoloration away-wax job must be re-done. Not yards fault, but a predictable outcome to deck wax on the hard.
:laugher :mad: Unfortunately I have had this happen to me one to many times, its one of the primary reasons I don't like marinas that allow "unsupervised" DIYers. :laugher :mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tager knows not, a nice clean shiny deck is paramount, If he wants to park his dingy old boat next to mine, that would make my girl look that much better

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually did talk to them already. They suggested adding some liquid rubbing compound to my "swab water" and try washing it. I don't find that solution particularly attractive. Rubbing compound is powerful stuff, and should be used in the appropriate manner. It's not "soap". I might try something milder like a polish, which, like rubbing compound, will certainly take the wax off. But hopefully the gray stuff comes with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts