SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
The cost of shipping the boat depends a lot on what boat it is. A Sunfish is going to be far less expensive to ship than a Tayana 52. :)

I would generally consider replacing the rigging if you're planning on doing any longer cruises with this boat, given the rigging is 25 years old. As for engines... I don't know why you say a diesel with only 4500 is at the end of its life. If it was properly maintained, it is likely to have many more years left on it.

More important than the fresh water use is the fact that the boat sits in storage for six-months out of the year. That means that it may have half the hours on the sails and other gear than a boat from further south. It also means that the hull will be drier than a boat from further south, making osmosis and blister problems less likely.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
As always, the replies just lead to more questions ... but first, the boat is a 40' Passport should be about 26000 lbs. Meant to put that in the original post.
More information is generally better than less.. :)

Secondly, I guess you bring up a good point on engine hours ... how many is reasonable?
Depends on the maintenance... A properly maintained engine can have 8000-9000 on it fairly easily... a poorly maintained one will be old at 1000.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts