SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 25 year old Great Lakes boat online and trying to decide the realities of fresh water, pulled out of the water, etc., on the rigging, engine, hull, electronics before I buy a plane ticket to check it out.

I know this has been discussed before, but not recently that I could locate. The boat in question has 4500 hours on the diesel, and the original standing rigging. It sounds like the boat was reasonably well maintained, pulled out of the water and covered every year. My rule of thumb out here in the salt water would be that the engine and standing rigging are reaching the end of their useful lives. The hull was painted with Imron several years ago, but not sure if that is good or bad. My plan is to sail it locally on Puget Sound/Straits for the next few years, then head out to who knows where. The question is - how much does fresh water/annual storage really count for on these systems after 25 years?

I also read on one thread that the switch to salt will rapidly run down a fresh water boat, but I can't think why this would be any more true on a fresh water boat than a salt boat.

Finally, anyone have any idea what shipping a boat from Great Lakes to Seattle would cost?

Thanks for any ideas,

Elzaar

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always, the replies just lead to more questions ... but first, the boat is a 40' Passport should be about 26000 lbs. Meant to put that in the original post.

Secondly, I guess you bring up a good point on engine hours ... how many is reasonable?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts